Re: Swales & Mudslides (fwd)

------- Forwarded Message
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 23:40:20 -0800
To: owner-permaculture@envirolink.org
From: Michael Murphy <michael@ctsl.com>
Subject: Re: Swales & Mudslides

As everyone knows, Noorthern California is Mudslideville. Here's my
question: will swales reduce/prevent mudslides? Obviously, they stop
erosion by slowing water and putting it into the dirt - but when the dirt
is saturated, we get mudslides. If I could make a coherent argument to
FEMA/SBA, I think we could get a major loan program (4%, 30 years) to build
swales everywhere. I was in this program after the '82 floods and they are
very loose about flood damage/damage prevention IF the landowner can make a
coherent argument.  So - any evidence to support the hypothesis? Thanks.

------- End of Forwarded Message