Re: IS anyone out there?

Questions (more given > more received)

What are you hoping to offer these people?
What are they expecting?
What are the problems that are at the forefront of
their minds?
Can you have a follow up event that allows people
to do some reflecting/research and then get back
together?
What setting will the workshop take place in?
How long is the workshop?

sound like the student/PCist ration is 25:1, and
one day to boot.
The real challange may well be in peoples
intentions.
Are these people thinking "what can Pc do for the
margins of my organic farming business?"

There is the difference between what you want to
teach and what the individual experiences.  What
are these people going to be doing with their gray
matter for the 6-16 hours you are together.

Start by telling what you what to do, how you want
to do it, why your way is important and what
difference you want to make in their way of
thinking, then see if the format suits the
students.  Democratic education does not mean lack
of leadership, but it does mean that the process
is as important as the content.

Morning: Have pictures, slides, topos of your
site, lots of pens and a role of low impact paper
(roll ends from newspaper presses work great)
present theory through applied examples.  Give a
condensed pack of printed information with large
margins and let people break into smaller groups
and analyse your theory, rip it apart and put it
back together.  Most people rely on lecture format
to much.  I can read faster and with greater
clarity then you can talk.  Get to know why these
people are there.  Deconstruct the kinds of
systems they are living in.  Brainstorm the
problems they percieve and use them for part II.

Eat together

Afternoon Evening:  A series of design problems
and reveiw sessions.  One excercise in group
process i have used is assigning roles, people can
sort themselves based on percieved dispositions,
so as to have diverse design teams.  (1 person
finds everything wrong, one person thinks up new
ideas, one person records and asks questions...)
Or give each person a principle that they are
responsible for advocating in the small group
design session.  Run it fast, and have the same
problem attacked by several groups, then give
presentations, make sure every participant has a
chance to play every role.

Finish with social (music and food) contra dance?

Good Luck
Paul Cereghino - crows@tkc.att.ne.jp - Tokyo