Re: understory to hardy nuts?

Beware of sheep - they can and will compact the soil, and as they
are decended for an animal like a goat - don't turn your back on them.
chickens are fine for mature trees but they too, can be destructive when
they
have a mind too, why not use geese as a cover crop! You can sell the eggs
or meat or feathers and they will convert existing greens into fertilizer,
contribute to the wetness of the soil with their wet padding.  Ducks are
ideal but eat less grasses.  They only need a small amount of water
not a huge outlay.  This keeps the soil covered with a low binding of weeds
and grasses and enables you to harvest easily,  I would consider putting in
some
small hedges that aid harvest by directing nuts down hill (not planted
across the contour
as this may trap the nuts.)  Then you can trap the nuts where you want
them.

I have just returned from a long holiday in Shetland Ireland and UK. After
Shetland I am
afraid I agree with my WA friends that sheep should be called paddock lice.
 I love trees
and like them to have a fair chance.
April

April Sampson-Kelly
www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
My space can make this world a better place