Low cost community gardening

Great Advise (keeping the school/community garden project low cost),
thanks Arpil!  I had it set in my mind that I wanted to
build raised beds, and still may in the future, the first site is at my
childrens elementary school and is on a hill side with a moderate slope.

I work as a secretary for a gerontologist and we just recently held a
conference on Minority Aging here in Missouri.  Our keynote speaker
talked about the desciple (I forget which one) who walked on water and
used this as an analogy "you have to get out of the boat" (stay focused
on I suppose God if you believe and/or your goal) to really help
the needy, he was speaking to social workers and health care givers,
telling them to ignore inhumane rules, like not touching the people they
care for etc.  I met many caring people at our conference and am Inspired
to try harder to get community gardening going.

Talking with another one of the conference workshop presenters who works in
Washington DC on public housing gave me a good idea on raising money for
the garden project(s) (I hope to expand to more sites in the future).
He started taking flats of annual flowers around to the people who live
in public housing and before he knew it people were lining up to buy
flats, and people started calling him to preorder flats.  I'm going to
try this, but will also keep in mind that I won't need whole lot of money
since the gardens will be community gardens.  He also talked about
sharing ideas and techniques, his very positive attitude was refreshing.
We can accomplish more if we share this kind of wonderful knowledge and
positive attitude with others, who knows, maybe in a couple of years
permaculture will be mainstream :}