Re: food irradiation

> john valenzuela wrote:
> >
> > I don't see that food irradiation fits into permaculture.

[post harvest stuff snipped]

> > This process disrupts local economies, taints the food with unknown
> > toxins, and perpetuates the validation of the toxic legacy of the
> > nuclear industry- from the uranium mines, and thier toxic tailings,
> > weapons of mutually assured destruction, and power plants that will be
> > deadly radioactive for many thousands of years. This transportation and
> > use of low level radioactive elements already exists in hospitals for
> > sterilization of medical supplies.  It is not widely known that most all
> > spices that are imported into the United States have been irradiated.

[snip]

> > I prefer to enjoy food grown near where I live, support local economies,
> > and work toward a nuclear-free world.
> >
> > with aloha 'aina
> > -John
> >
> > John Valenzuela Permaculture Services
> > PO Box 1280 Pahoa, Hawai'i 96778
> > e-mail: johnvalenzuela@hotmail.com

Please don't confuse radiation with radioactivity.

It is my understanding that irradiation of food makes use of high
voltages to create ionising radiation, much the same way as x-rays
are produced. In both processes there is no involvement of
radioactive materials and no radioactive by-products.

The nuclear industry may produce the power for food irradiation
plants, but this may not be the case. You cannot involve the nuclear
industry in a debate about a process that could be powered by wind
or wave power.

Tim Reynolds
Tim Reynolds

Motiv Systems Ltd