Dancing Rabbit: An Ecovillage Community

http://www.woodwind.com/dancing-rabbit/
 Lawrence F. London, Jr. - Dragonfly Market Gardens
 mailto:london@sunSITE.unc.edu - mailto:llondon@bellsouth.net
 http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden
 http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden/permaculture.html

Title: Dancing Rabbit: An Ecovillage Community

Dancing Rabbit logo

The
Dancing
Rabbit
Project

Working Towards A Sustainable Future

See our new section on Biodiesel!

   And our biodiesel pictures

All home grown veggies (even shitakes)!

The Dancing Rabbit Project is a group of individuals who desire true environmental sustainability. Rather than the "quick fixes" or band-aid efforts of the mainstream, we are interested in long-term societal and technological changes that will ensure the integrity of the ecosphere, and the well-being of humans, far into the future.

We believe that it is impossible to live sustainably while enmeshed in the consumer culture, but humanly difficult to live independently in isolation. Therefore, we envision a locally self- reliant town committed to radical environmental sustainability -- a place where one can get one's livelihood and happiness without causing environmental degradation. We intend to build such a town.

Fully realized, Dancing Rabbit will be a small town with about 1000 residents. We will be housed in a variety of living arrangements, eat a variety of foods, and work on varied projects. It will be a society flexible enough to include egalitarian communities, cohousing, individual households, and hermits. But while we may have different approaches to some issues, the common desire for environmental sustainability will underlie all key decisions at Dancing Rabbit.

Although Dancing Rabbit will strive for self-sufficiency and economic independence, we will not be sequestered from mainstream America. Rather, outreach and education are integral to our goals. We will vigorously promote ourselves as a viable example of sustainable living and spread our ideas and discoveries through visitor programs, academic and other publications, speaking engagements, and the like.

Currently, Dancing Rabbit is living nearby and in a close relationship with Sandhill Farm. Sandhill is an egalitarian, income-sharing community that has been living and farming in Northeast Missouri since 1973. We are hoping to buy land within a few miles of Sandhill and move onto it by Spring of 1997. Besides the cooperative relationship with Sandhill Farm, we are currently discussing the possibility of Chicago-based forming community Fiddler's Green joining Dancing Rabbit. At this point all members of DR are members of the income-sharing subcommunity called Skyhouse (after our abode in Berkeley), and we make decisions by consensus.

We also have an e-mail list and publish a newsletter. If you are interested in being a part of Dancing Rabbit please write, call, or e-mail us to get more information or arrange a visit. We are especially looking for pre-existing groups interested in pooling resources with us and/or forming a community within the town of Dancing Rabbit.

On Our Site
Our Vision Here & Now
Mission Statement
Information Packet
The Society of Communities Model
Land Trust Structures
Economic Structures
Energy Usage
Subcommunities
Bios of some Rabbits
DR Chooses Missouri
Rutledge, Missouri
Businesses and Employment
Site Criteria for Land
Skyhouse Community, Inc.
Biodiesel at DR

Taking Part Our History
Contact Information
Sustainability Guidelines
Membership Agreement
Mailing Lists
Filters on Diversity
Newsletter Archives
Other stuff
Dancing Rabbit FAQ
Dancing Rabbit "Library"
Related Links
Some Extra Hare-y Images

Visits to the DR site since 8/4/97

Special thanks to Michael Hauser and Woodwind Internet Services for use of this server.
And thanks to Jacob Stevens for most of the varied and wonderful images.

Reasonable uses authorized without permission.
All other uses Copyright ©1996, 1997 Dancing Rabbit.

updated 8/4/97 by Rachel and Tony.

Counter courtesy of Atwill Productions