Re: Environmental Damage Valuation & Cost Benefit News--July, 1997

Mmbers I have three different copies of ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE VALUATION
AND COST BENEFIT NEWS I will keep them for 3 weeks if anyone is interested

Vic.

>From: Kenneth Acks <dva.ka@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
>
>                  ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE VALUATION
>                               AND
>                        COST BENEFIT NEWS
>
>VOLUME IV # 7                                          JULY, 1997
>
>                             CONTENTS
>
>      GENERAL
>
>THE VALUE OF THE WORLD'S ECOSYSTEMS
>NEW TOOLS FOR TAXING POLLUTERS
>GOING PUBLIC ON POLLUTERS IN INDONESIA
>BENEFITS AND COSTS OF ECO-INDUSTRIAL PARKS
>
>      WATER
>
>WELFARE EFFECTS OF TOXIC FISH
>
>      LAND
>
>$50 MILLION TO BUY FLORIDA LAND SOLD IN SCAM
>USDA ENVIRONMENTAL INCENTIVES TO YIELD BENEFITS OF $439 MILLION
>
>      ENERGY
>
>SAFER, MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT HALOGEN LAMP
>

>                             GENERAL
>

>THE VALUE OF THE WORLD'S ECOSYSTEMS
>

>In "The Value of the World's Ecosystem Services and Natural Capital" an
>interdisciplinary international team estimated that the current economic
>value of 17 "ecosystem services" for 16 "biomes" conservatively ranged from
>US$16 trillion to US$54 trillion per year, with a most likely estimate of
>US$33 trillion.  The article, which appeared in the May 15th issue of Nature
>Magazine, attracted considerable attention, including a page 1 summary in
>the Science section of the New York Times and a special internet list.
>
>The estimated average of US$33 trillion is 1.8 times the current global GNP.
>One way to look at this comparison is that if one were to try to replace the
>services of ecosystems at the current margin, one would need to increase
>global GNP by at least US$33 trillion, partly to cover services already
>captured in existing GNP, and partly to cover services that are not
>currently captured in GNP.  Most of the value lies outside the market.  As
>natural capital and ecosystem services become more stressed and more
>'scarce' in the future, the authors expect their value to increase.

>"Going Public on Polluters in Indonesia"  Pollution Prevention News
>April-May 1997 United States Environmental Protection Agency Office of
>Pollution Prevention and Toxics Washington, DC 20460 (EPA 742-N-97-003)
>http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/ChemLibPPN/04_05_97.htm
>

>Kenneth Acks, Editor and Publisher
>
>ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE VALUATION & COST BENEFIT NEWS (EDV&CBN)
>
>22 East Olive Street             250 West 57th Street
>Second Floor                               Suite 1527
>Long Beach, New York  11561  New York, New York 10107
>voice: (516) 897-9728            voice (212) 969-0797
>fax:   (516) 897-9185             fax: (212) 582-0593
>
>    kenacks@delphi.com or dva.ka@worldnet.att.net
>           http://people.delphi.com/kenacks

Regards,
          Vic
--
Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
victor.guest@eepo.com.au                  11 Carew Place Greenwood 6024