COURSE POST SAED: Dick Richardson, Natural Resource Management, University of (fwd)

COURSE POST SAEd-Share-L (Holistic Management)

This post contains a syllabus of a course in the broad category of
agricultural and food system sustainable development. This syllabus is
mainly available on the Web, but this post contains the background
information that is presented to students.

SAEd-Share-L welcomes additional contributions of similar courses at any
type of higher educational setting to share with other educators.

Regards,

Nancy Grudens-Schuck, list manager, SAEd-Share-L

>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+

Educator:                       Dr. R.H. (Dick) Richardson

Course Title:                  "Natural Resource Management" at URL:
                                http://www.utexas.edu/courses/resource

Level:                          Graduate and undergraduate

Institution:                    Zoology Department, University of Texas,
                                Austin, Texas, 78712, U.S.A.
                                Phone: (512) 471-9651;
                                E-mail: d.richardson@mail.utexas.edu

>Language:                      English

Date of First Post:             September 29, 1997

>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+

Dear SAEd subscribers:

This course is really worth a look on the Web at URL:

http://www.utexas.edu/courses/resource

where it is available for use by Dick Richardson's students in this course
on Natural Resource Managment.  Dick is a long time SAEd-Subscrdiber. He
has not only based his course on Holistic Management (TM) ideas, but
provides his students with experiential learning opportunties like
structured group work, structured self-reflection and assessment, and
interesting case studies. Dick once told me that his course does not have
'agriculture' in the title, but is 'all about' sustainable agriculture, and
I could not agree more.

I have provided the text from only one of Dick's Web sites so that you may
see some of the content. However, you will learn more about Dick's
organization and goals if you visit the several Web pages that he has
created for the course. These Web pages do more than simply provide text to
students: Dick says that the Web is an integral part of the course. He
teaches the course in the spring so the Web pages may undergo some change
from this time until the course begins again.

Regards,

Nancy GS

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

> [...]
>     improve team effectiveness in reaching the objective(s).
>  3. Participate in a team with high personal commitment to maximize the
>     team's effectiveness.
>  4. Apply knowledge from courses and experience and take initiative to
>     gather other information or obtain skills as needed to accomplish the
>     team's objective(s).
>  5. Carry out responsibilities as a team member, with a commitment to high
>     quality work completed "on time". This includes preparing parts of the
>     final report in a form that are clearly written, accurate, and
>     contribute to successful completion of the team's objectives. (Only
>     those willing to carry through to publication will be included on the
>     list of authors, should the team report qualify for submission for
>     formal publication.)
>
>A graduate student will be expected to accomplish the following:
>
>  1. Identify the strengths of team members, and organize these in an
>     effective way to accomplish one or more objectives.
>  2. Build the collaborative dynamics in a team, serving as a catalyst for
>     members feeling they are valuable members with pride in the success of
>     the team.
>  3. Facilitate and instruct the team in the consensus building process, an=
>     guide the decisions using the holistic management decision making
>     process.
>  4. Organize the initial plan to accomplish the objectives, and then
>     facilitate adaptive improvements with the contributions from the team
>     throughout the team's work schedule. (This may mean any degree of
>     revising the plan, provided the revisions produce a better plan.
>     Adaptations to changing circumstances, new information, or other
>     "corrections" in objectives or strategies are part of holistic
>     management.)
>  5. Organize the writing of the report that presents the team's results
>     that accomplish the objective(s) or revised objectives, and take the
>     lead in blending results into a document suitable for formal
>     publication.
>
>Consensus Building
>
>Both graduate and undergraduate students will be expected to accomplish the
>following:
>
>  1. Describe and characterize the differences between working with
>     "collaboration" and working with "consensus." (These will be discussed
>     in class.)
>  2. Facilitate and skillfully participate in groups to create
>     consensus-based actions.
>  3. Show how groups functioning with consensus and using the holistic
>     decision making process can effectively manage natural resources in
>     sustainable, or even regenerative, ways. When such a result is deemed
>     impossible, then a student will identify the restrictions that prevent
>     such management.
>
>Maintained by Dick Richardson
>d.richardson@mail.utexas.edu
>Last updated 02/17/97: Copyright=A9 1997 R. H. Richardson.

***************************
Nancy Grudens Schuck
Doctoral Candidate

Department of Education