Re: Constructed wetlands for Perth's rivers

>From: Martin Anda <anda@essun1.murdoch.edu.au>
>To: Permaculture WA <perma@eepo.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Constructed wetlands for Perth's rivers
>

>Martin I was wondering if there was any possibility that these two rivers
>may not have some Constructed Wetlands outside of Perth to greatly reduce
>the effect of Agricultural P and N before the water gets to Perth.
>The loss of wetlands to fauna may be compensated for as well.
>
>Regards,
>          Vic
>

>Some researchers here tried that for nutrient run-off into Peel Inlet from
>agricultural lands.  Contact is Jane Chambers at Environmental Science,
>Murdoch University (chambers@essun1.murdoch.edu.au) who has published a
>number of papers on the project.  Also applied research has been done there
>on the application of Alcoa red mud to agricultural lands to sorp P and
>prevent leaching (ho@essun1.murdoch.edu.au).

The Land Management Society looked at some of the red mud trials near
 Busselton which appeared to be reasonably successful. The long term
affect still has to be assessed.

>If people are particularly interested in wetlands for wastewater treatment
>we have a workshop proceedings from 1996 with case studies from around
>Australia available at $25.
>
>All the best.
>

>Martin Anda
>Research Associate
>Remote Area Developments Group
>Tel 61 8 9360 6399  Fax 61 8 9310 4997
>Environmental Technology Centre
>Tel 61 8 9360 6123 Fax 61 8 9310 4997
>Murdoch University
>Murdoch  WA  6150

Regards,
          Vic
--
Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
victor.guest@eepo.com.au                  11 Carew Place Greenwood 6024