Re: cryptogamic soils (fwd)

Victor Guest wrote:

> I'm unsure whether anyone on this list can use this info because cryptogamic
> soils don't mean anything to me. I might know them under another name.

Maybe cryptobiotic.  The "official" line is expressed by the US National
Park Service at http://www.nps.gov/care/crypto.htm from whence this
extract comes:

  We refer to cryptogamic soil crust - "brown sugar soil" - that dark
  cruddy stuff which covers much of the terrain of untrampled desert
  areas.

  Cryptogamic soil is actually alive, composed of several species of
  mosses, lichens, fungi and algae. It protects the soil from erosion,
  absorbs moisture, and provides nitrogen and other nutrients for plant
  growth.