Re: Synergistic enterprises and the testing guidelines (fwd)

From: TAGJAG@aol.com
Synergy means: behavior of whole systems unpredicted by the behavior of their
parts taken separately.
synergy means:  behavior of integral, aggregate unpredicted by behaviors of
any of their components or subassemblies of their components taken separately
from the whole.   Mass attraction is a classic example.

It looks to me that synergy by definition does not function as a test since it
the condition of the whole that is not predictable.  It is certainly something
that one could observe in monitoring the whole following the injection of some
action or component and if the synergy observed is desirable in terms of the
holistic goal one might attempt to replicate it in other situations
recognizing that community dynamics are constantly changing and what worked
yesterday may not work tomorrow.  As I understand synergy it describes the
fundamental nature of holism.  Since the behavior of the whole is
unpredictable from the behaviors of the sub wholes we have testing guidelines
as observational windows from several different views to attempt to make sound
decisions and in complex situations assume we are wrong and monitor.

I find myself wondering if there wasn't a fundamental misunderstanding when
God gave the instruction to "go forth and multiply".   Humanity thought he was
talking about what they were thinking about when really he was referring to
the multiplier principle we now see in nature as people begin to manage
holistically, experiment with bio dynamics and permaculture, manage waste,
share information, collaborate with respect, develop and make use of
technology that allows us to communicate over great distance and do more with
less etc.

My daughter in fourth grade just wishes multiplying had never been invented.

Tom W.