Re: Information on vegetation management, etc (fwd)

Tyre ponds are shallow ponds in your garden which are the size of a
tyre about 18" or 500 centimetres deep, and they are lined with plastic
sheet. They help create a more humid enviroment, and we also put small
fish in them to live on the mosquito larvae. They can also have some herbs
which need extra water putting roots into them. We have water plants which
generate growth for humis and worms and also others which produce nitrogen.
Of course the primary importance is an enviroment for the support of frogs
which help control slugs, snail and insects.
 As tyres vary in size so your tyre pond can vary in size as well.
To prepare the tyre cut one side out of it.( Steel tyres don't work.)
[_ ( a profile like this).

paving can sit here_______
the plastic is like this |__ <--- Tyre sits here. Water level about here
                            \                          also.
                             \
                              \__________
Plant Water chestnuts around on the wall of the tyre keep the water 2" deep
over bead of the tyre.

>What are, tailwater ponds & how do do I establish one ???  Also when
>will the above mentined Web Sight be ready ???
>
>-"Tears are liquid prayers"  Barb

Regards,
          Vic
--
Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
victor.guest@eepo.com.au                 1 Annato Street Greenwood 6024