(Fwd) watershed indicators (fwd)

From: wyattf@cfra.org
Folks - I apologise to those of you who've seen this already.
  --  Wyatt

Date:          Tue, 5 May 1998 15:43:43 -0500
From:          "Michelle M. Miller" <mmmille6@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Subject:       watershed indicators

Sustainable development / ag  folks --

Thought the following might intrigue you.  Canada has set some ambitious
targets for restoring natural systems as a way to restore their natural
functions.  Perhaps this might be useful in developing our own indicators?
Michelle

>                      GREAT LAKES UNITED
>                Great Lakes Habitat Watch #111
>                    Week of April 27, 1998
>
>RAP COMMITTEE ISSUES PROVACATIVE GUIDANCE:  In a document
>with wide applicability to communities across the Great
>Lakes Basin, the Canada-Ontario Remedial Action Plan
>Steering Committee has outlined a provocative set of
>guidelines to protect and rehabilitate ecosystems on a
>watershed basis.  The report, "A Framework for Guiding
>Habitat Rehabilitation in Great Lakes Areas of
>Concern," was prepared for the Steering Committee by
>the Canadian Wildlife Service, the Ontario Ministry of
>Natural Resources, and the Ontario Ministry of the
>Environment.  It is intended to provide local planners
>and citizen partnerships a set a scientifically based
>targets to restore the ecological function of various
>habitats, including wetlands, riparian areas, and
>forests in the 16 Canadian Areas of Concern.  Among the
>report guidelines are:
>       WETLANDS   should occupy a minimum of 10% of the
>watershed area or their historic percentage, should be
>buffered at a 3:1 upland-to-wetland ratio or to 240
>meters, and restorations should be prioritized in
>headwaters, floodplains, and coastal zones.
>       RIPARIAN AREAS   streams should be naturally
>vegetated along 75% of their length, should have a 30
>meter buffer along each side, and the entire watershed
>should target less than 15% "impervious" surfaces
>(roads, commercial/industrial, and high-density
>residential development).  Goals for the rehabilitation
>of the riverine ecosystem are addressed by recommending
>the establishment of individualized fish community
>targets.
>       FORESTS   watersheds should 1) have 30% forest
>cover, 2) have 5% of forest cover as interior forest
>that is at least 200 meters from an edge (to provide
>sufficiently buffered interior habitat), and 3) contain
>at least one 200 hectare (500 acre) forest patch that
>is at least 500 meters on all sides.  Additionally,
>forest corridors should be at least 100 meters wide.
>       The guidelines are intriguing when they are viewed
>in two ways, as restoration goals where natural systems
>have already been lost or altered, and also as
>parameters to guide conservation planning where natural
>systems are more intact.  In fact, while the report
>includes physical design information for the how-tos of
>wetland and stream restoration/reconstruction where
>systems have already been destroyed, it also stresses
>the importance of preserving the remaining natural
>systems where they are.
>       According to Brian McHatie, project coordinator for
>the CWS, the guidelines are derived from the best
>available data on what is necessary to protect resource
>structure and quality and to provide adequate habitat
>for a majority of diverse species.  For example, the
>240 meter upland buffer, which dwarfs buffers commonly
>applied in the United States and Canada, is based on
> [...]

Michelle Miller
UWEX-Sustainable Agriculture Task Force
608/262-7135
FAX  262-5217
mmmille6@facstaff.wisc.edu

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/susag

Home Office 608/255-1503
Home Fax     608/255-5885

Wyatt Fraas, Martin Kleinschmit

Beginning Farmer Sustainable Agriculture Project
Center for Rural Affairs
PO Box 736
Hartington, NE USA 68739
402 254-6893  fax -6891