Community Journal/ food choices (fwd)

Kate - Your concern over eating food raised in ways you don't support
is an increasingly visible choice many of us can make.  The knowledge
that there ARE choices is at the root of the many green labelling
activities. It seems to me that where we obtain our food is ultimately
an individual choice.  Some of us have more options than others, and
many people are working to make the options available more widely.  I
raise my own poultry and lamb.  I buy/trade for beef and pork from
local farmers whom I know and trust.

Others are doing the same. St. Louis-based direct marketing farmer
David Schafer tells of a vegetarian customer who drove from the east
coast to purchase poultry and beef from him.  She joined PETA, the
animal rights organization, and forsook meat to protest conventional
livestock handling/processing.  But she buys his products because she
can see that he raises and handles animals in a manner she likes.

Mary Fund expressed this sentiment well for me in the Feb '98 Kansas
Rural Center 'Rural Papers', when she commented on the industrial hog
wars in KS: "Frankly all this hog debate makes it very hard for me to
eat pork.  For my part, the next pork I eat will come from a local
farmer -- someone I trust, someone I want to support."

  --  Wyatt Fraas