Fwd: ANNUAL ONLINE PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE BEGINS IN NOVEMBER (fwd)

	Please read and forward as appropriate.

Elfin Permaculture's third Annual Permaculture Design Course Online will
begin at the end of November 1998.  The in-depth course runs 5-6 months,
depending on class needs.  The course includes at home reading assignments
, instructor's,lectures distributed via email, email class discussion of
current themes and student projects, a number of special student reports,
and a permaculture design project completed by each student.  Successful
completion of all course requirements leads to certification as an entry-
level permaculturist.

The course is particularly suited to people who cannot take two or three
weeks for a live permaculture course, people living in areas distant from
such live courses, and people seeking a particularly in-depth training in
permaculture.  Advance students may arrange to take the course at an
advanced level. The course is not suitable for people who require a
more tactile approach to learning, unless arrangements are made to
hybridize the course with live training programs.  (Email this address
for details)

As in all Elfin Permaculture programs, we offer some \.  However for the
online course the number of scholarships is very limited, with a backlog
of qualified applicants.
Students are encouraged to seek funding from suitable donors.

Elfin Permaculture has arranged several alternative approaches for people
who want exposure to the course material but cannot take the course at
this time.  As in our previous online courses, we offer monitor status
at a nominal fee, so people can follow the course reading, receive
special instructor's materials, and read class discussion as they see fit.
In addition, Elfin Permaculture offers for the first time a complete set
of reading assignments and course notes, on disk or in print.  We are
aware that for some people, downloading email materials is not possible
or is prohibitively expensive due to time charges by their ISP.  They can
now receive the class materials by mail. In addition, we will take up to
two conventional correspondence students, on a one-on-one basis, at one
time, either via mail or email.

The broad course outline is as follows:
Section 1:  Introduction and Basic Principles
         a)  World ecological problems and interrelationships.
         b)  Principles of natural design.
         c)  Permaculture design concepts.
         d)  Classical landscapes.
         e)  Patterning, edges, edge effects.
         f)  The Permaculture Design Report
         g)  Principles of transformation (in process--you will get as
much as we have worked out at the moment--this is not part of ordinary
permaculture design courses).

Section 2:  Appropriate Technologies in Permaculture Design
        a)  Energy--solar, wind, hydro, biomass, etc.
        b)  Nutrient cycles--soil, microclimates, gardening methods,
perennials, tree crops, food parks, composting toilets, livestock, "pest"
management, food storage, seed saving, cultivated systems, forests,  etc.
        c)  Water--impoundments, aquaculture, conservation, etc.
        d)   Buildings.

Section 3:  Social permaculture.  Design Report.
        a)  Design for catastrophe.
        b)  Urban permaculture.
        c)  Bioregionalism.
        d)  Alternative economics.
        e)  Village development.
        f)  Final design reports and critiques.
        g)  Final evaluation.

For more information request the course protocol and reading list from
Elfin Permaculture at Permacltur@aol.com

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications
(since 1982),
Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual
correspondence courses via email.
Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA
Internships. YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers
Assn. home page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html