[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Pacific Northwest Native Wildlife Gardening

http://chemwww.chem.washington.edu/natives/

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
mailto:london@sunSITE.unc.edu

Trillium Pacific Northwest Native Wildlife Gardening

This site is not tailored for Netscape.

[Books] [Plants & Wildlife] [Organizations] [Sources] [Events] [Exchange] [More]
Welcome to an attempt to gather information that is useful for gardening with Pacific Northwest native plants, and for attracting PNW native wildlife to your yard, no matter how large or small that yard may be.

This site will work best and grow fastest as a collective effort, since not only is my time for typing limited, but undoubtably most of you know far more than I do about the subject. The regional information especially will benefit from contributions; though it's not too hard for me to find out some of what's going on in Seattle and King County, I almost never run across information from Oregon, British Columbia or SE Alaska. So if you can help fill in a blank spot, send me mail!

For now, the header links are all active, though most still point to blank pages; the index lists should only show an active link if there is something on the other end to read. Non-active links and blank pages are my To Do list.

All information on this site is for personal or educational use only.

Why Garden with Natives?

Here are a few good reasons; send me more!

Beautiful
There are hundreds of lovely native shrubs, perennials, groundcovers, ferns and more that aren't available at home centers. It may take some investigation to find them, but the results are worth the time.
Less work
Native plants from your area and habitat are well suited to the climate and soils, so you don't have to water or adjust the pH of the soil constantly. They are often more resistant to local pests and diseases, as well.
Educational
Learning which plants and animals are native and how they interact can help build an appreciation of all environments. Supporting a bit of wild garden can remind you of the wonderful complexity of life every day, with no need to burn gasoline and drive for hours to see a butterfly or hear a frog.
Environmentally friendly
Allowing a corner of your yard to go native not only reduces or eliminates water and pesticide use, but provides a place for wildlife even in the city, and can help break up the 'grass desert' which has so reduced the variety of birds, insects, and other wildlife.

Free Speech Online Blue Ribbon Campaign.
Comments or problems? Send mail to: webmaster@cornetto.chem.washington.edu
Copyright Allyn Weaks. 25 November, 1996