[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Harassed Permies

First, Paul, our sympathy and support.  Othewise, I'm dumbfounded.

The decision whether to leave or face the rednecks down (at least that is
what we call them here) is a hard one and no one outside the community can
help you make it.  We've just moved into the heart of redneck country in
Florida.  We've had no problems.  I've only had that sort of problem once,
before the word permaculture was coined.  My wife and I moved from New York
City back (for me) to rural Massachusetts and the worst that it got was
people opening our mail, which is a serious matter in the US but hardly as
serious as burning people's homes.  Well, we also had some trespassing by
racoon hunters.  Both were handled by making it vividly clear that people
could not mess with us with impunity.  After that we were left alone.  The
chief of police himself, who was a reputed child mollester and a general
creep, would not get out of his car in our driveway.

I have to ask why these people think that you are different.  In my case, it
was because (as a freelance writer, which they didn't know about) I didn't go
off to work everyday.  I think people thought I was a drug pusher.  They
decided not to find out.  It seems really important to identify what set
these people off.

If you stay, I advise you to bring every conceivable form of wrath down on
the people who are harassing you.  The meek won't inherit the Earth if they
are already dead.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
permaculture training by email. Copyright, 1996, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O.
Box 2052, Ocala FL 34478 USA  YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.