[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: practical use for snails?

In a message dated 1/12/97 11:56:20 PM, p2119860@vmsuser.acsu.unsw.edu.au
(Adam Mark) wrote:

>I've been doing the snail pail trail around the garden for years now and
>have hand picked and discarded x number of hundreds? I don't even
>particularly mind doing this.What I do mind is the bucket of dead and
>SMELLY snails. Does anyone know anything that snails or snail shells
>could be used for (other than food) I haven't been putting them on the
>compost as I heard somewhere they are not suitable, but they must be
>suitable for something other than a big hole in the ground.

1)  Plant something over the holes.  I think you will find tomatoes
especially grateful, or you can give a tree a good start.

2)  You could get ducks and go from snails to eggs (protein surrounded by
calcium carbonate--hardly any change).  Duck eggs are great.

3)  Why not eat them?  I don't understand.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
permaculture training by email. Copyright, 1996, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O.
Box 2052, Ocala FL 34478 USA  YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.