[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NOT just farming (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 13:47:02 -0600 (CST)
From: jekke xonee <jessica@ccbr.umn.edu>
To: Wilcox_D@hccs.cc.tx.us
Cc: askpv@ozemail.com.au, permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
Subject: Re: NOT just farming

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997 Wilcox_D@hccs.cc.tx.us wrote:

> The only way forward is to bring the farms to the people
> and their waste containing those minerals BACK to the farm
> and the easiest way to do this is to live in FARM-like villages.
>

> April--
>
> Your theory is NOT crazy...it is our current system of food production that is
> insane.
>
> I have read about and discussed the theory and good sense behind such a
> concept, but where is it actually being done?  Are there successful models in
> existence or are we all just dreaming?
>
> Victoria Albright

No, you are not all just dreaming.  There is a rapidly growing
international movement of persons who are creating "EcoVillages",
communities in which people live in harmony with each other and nature.
Locally self-sufficient food systems are an integral part of such
communities, and many (most?) of them consciously incorporate
permaculture into their design.

For more information, check the Web Site for the Global EcoVillage
Network:  http://www.gaia.org/

Also check out a mailing list dedicated to discussion of just this
topic called EcoBalance.  To subscribe, send a message to
LISTSTAR@GAIA.ORG with the message SUBSCRIBE ECOBALANCE.

In addition, there are numerous mailing lists dedicated to discussion of
various aspects of creating communities/villages that facilitate
living in greater harmony with the Universe.  I have compiled
a list of these lists (see below).  Subscription information on any
one or all of them can be found at the Web site:
http://muskie.biostat.umn.edu/~jessica/maillist.html

or send a message (no subject, nothing in the body) to
evlists@gaia.org.  (This auto-respond file made possible courtesy of
the EcoVillage Information Service).  The info will be sent in email
format to your mailbox.

sustainable community, in which people live in harmony with nature and
each other:

AE (Alternative Energy)
Allergy
BacktoBasics
Bioenergy
Bioregional
Cohousing-L
Community_garden
CSA-L (Community supported agriculture)
EcoBalance (Ecovillages)
Ecocity
Gaia-L
Greenbuilding
Greenclips (news items)
Immune
Mv2spk (community building based on Scott Peck model)
Natchat
Native-L
Paracelsus (health therapies alternative to biomedical model)
Permaculture-mg
Poly (polyamory)
Strawbale
Tree-house (greening of public streets & gardens)
Visions

jekke xonee
confluence of minnesota & mississippi rivers
mid-continent, north america
jessica@ccbr.umn.edu