[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Permaculture market garden [PC class file under nutrient cycles, cr economic

permaculture and market garden are a bit of an oxymoron
- the role of permaculture is by pass market gardening,
if we want to do sustainable market gardening we
have a number of costs to address
which was covered earlier by many of us
basicly
sustainble farming imports less than it exports [ref Andrew Erb]
local production is best as it involves less packaging and transport
use locally available materials
other costs involve more picking time as the plants are mixed up not
sitting in rows
sacrifices may be made in order to get a large enough harvest
you may have to treat all the plants with same setup (micro climate, light, water)
in a good permaculture system the fruits DON"T all ripen at the same time.
April

BTW there is often a conflict of approaches between biodynamics and permaculture
and in my opinion poorly managed hens may compact soil if left in the area too long.
- you have to manage the hens
or they will manage you alright.
One Biodynamics technique of baring the soil
seems inappropriate for Ausralian conditions.
April
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv/index.html