[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TH: Impregnate trees and logs ... with edible fungi ?

On Tue, 6 Jun 1995, Myk Rushton wrote:

> 	06/06/95 20:45 BST
>
> 	Hello Tree Housers

[Snip]

> 	The following is a basic management plan draw up after several
> 	informal meetings and site visits to Dot Hill.
>
> 	Any comments good or bad would be greatly appriciated as would any
> 	advice or ideas.
>
> 	I neither necessarily agree or disagree with either all or parts
> 	of the following
>
> [Start]
>
> _South_East_London_Permaculture_Groups_Management_Plan_for_the_DOT_HILL_Nature
> _site_
>
> _Main aims:_
> 	To encourage use by the local community
> 	To make site information easily accessible
> 	To increase amount of edible Perenials
> 	To promote as a forest garden

[Snip]

> _Edible Fungi:_
>
> Impregnate trees and logs in long strips beside estate with various edible
> fungi.
>
> _Wildlife:_
>
> Provide Bird and Bat boxes. Possibilities of involving local Children/Schools
> in a building boxes project.

[Snip]

First off, Myk, let me apologize for severely editing-down your proposal
above for the purposes of this posting.

The bat-boxes I have read about (in gardening catalogs) and actually seen
in a local State Wildlife Area outside of Baltimore.  Never had any personal
experience with one of them, however.  The `edible fungi' on the other hand
sounds pretty exotic to me.  Could you and others elaborate a bit on this
one?  I assume that you mean that the fungi is intended for animal
consumption, but your forest garden already has a number of fruiting trees
obviously intended for humans as well.  Is this a European / London thing,
or is it part of the theory of Permaculture (which seems likely) or have I
simply been left out of fungi cultivation?  You know, the self-proclaimed
`Mushroom Capital of The World' is up in Kennett Square Pennsylvania, north
of Baltimore here.  Kennett Square is also home to 2 world-class formal
(tourist) gardens: Winterthur Estate and Longwood Gardens. Because the Dupont
family made fortunes grinding gunpowder up there along the Brandywine River.

Richard < owner-tree-house@lists.umbc.edu >