Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 19:19:31 -0400
From: Gordon Sims <gsims@student.umass.edu>
To: hydro@lists.best.com
Subject: Re: Aquaculture in "The Growing Edge"

>From: Lori Anders <anders@trialsdigest.com>
>Subject: Aquaculture in "The Growing Edge"
>Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 13:09:28 -0700
>
>Aloha to all!
>
>I got the latest issue of The Growing Edge
>(Vol.9 No. 1 Sept./Oct. 1997) today couldn't help but
>notice two articles on a recent topic of this list: Aquaculture.
>
>One is entitled "Aquaponics - Combining Aquaculture and Hydroponics"
>and the other "Hydroponics & Acuaculture Working Together: A Case Study"
>
>Since this area is not my forte, I won't comment on the quality of the
>articles but I'm sure those of you interested will want to check it out.

I saw this type of setup (aquaponics/hydroponics) at the ADM Raingardens
facitily in Decatur, IL this summer when I was given a tour of their 10
acre facility.

Also there is a place here in Amherst, MA that I have been given a tour of,
called Bioshelter.  Needless to say ADM was much more impressive, but from
such a large company, you can only expect the best.

ADM had 5 acres of lettuce and cukes.  They also had 5 acres of fish, and
then used the fish-poop as fertilizer in basil, mint, and other herb
production.

Gordon