Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 08:14:27 -0700 (MST)
From: Rich Kimball <homegron@roadrunner.com>
To: homegron@roadrunner.com
Subject: Newsletter

                H.E.I.R.S. ORGANIC HOUSING NEWS

                       #7 - October 1997

                         Published by
      Rich Kimball, PO Box 580, Chimayo NM 87522-0580 USA

     Phone 505.351.2968    E-mail Homegron@Roadrunner.com

Healthy Environment Information & Referral Service  *  $2; $20/12 issues
                   Copyright 1997 R.Kimball

  Modern urban living is killing us. Because of car pollution, over-scented
"pretties," and paranoid bug sprayers, some of us just can't afford to live or
work in "modern" cities any more. Urban "planners" are more interested in
money than in preserving the quality of life. Our "modern" buildings are
especially toxic. We need to take our lives into our own hands, and improve
them ourselves. It has and can be done.

H.E.I.R.S. ORGANIC HOUSING NEWS is an occasional newsletter about
safe housing and building issues from the EI perspective, born literally from
my search for "greener pastures." I try to cover everything from relocating,
building, buying, and renovating, to surviving.

HOH is electro-manually produced and mailed. Any errors of fact, etc, are
probably my fault. Unattributed opinions are mine.

Open invitation for info highlighting afford-able, rural properties, &
"Adventures in Safe Housing" stories. Submit your tale for the next issue
ASAP. Larger items preferred sent via e-mail or in DOS-compatible TEXT
format on 3-inch diskette.

Back issues (8) are available at $2 each.

IN THIS ISSUE:
 Greetings! - 2
 Projects - 2
 Properties - 2
 Resources
 CLIPS Re-Citations - 3
 Books & Tapes - 3
 Newsletters & Magazines - 3
 BUILDING(S) Directory - 5
 Surviving - 4
 Announcements - 12
 Ads - 12 REALLY BAD CHEMISTRY

Victims of Environmental Illnesses (EI's) comprise at least 10 to 20 percent of
the population, and the number is growing. Other people's chemistry is the
bane of most of our lives. Many people are sick without knowing why, or
worse, not even knowing it. Recognition is the key to treatment and care of
environmental illnesses.

The advertising snow jobs for most "modern" products may appear to be just
too overwhelming sometimes. They tell us that smelly is clean, that living is
better because of chemistry. But the chemically poisoned know better.
"Progress" has been poison to us. We need appropriate technology and
products, not more chemical addiction. We need to overcome the ignorance
and attitudes that surround us. So keep the pressure on manufacturers,
legislators, and anyone else who thinks EI is "all in your mind."

We need real information. We need safe and sane products, services, and new
approaches to solving problems. Not just EI's, but everyone. If we buy from
responsible people and companies, and convince others of the rationale of
using products and procedures using safer products, their market power will
eventually overcome the Bad Boys, or convince them to adopt similar
practices. More demand should result in lower prices. If we all support safer
products, a cleaner, safer environment for all will be the result. I for one
will
be very happy when the Good Guys outnumber the Bad Guys.

Look forward, grow your own, laugh a lot, and take care.

 PROJECTS
* I'm looking for sponsors for a safe, affordable house project in northern
NM.

 PROPERTIES
- The Community Housing Trust, Santa Fe County NM, has info on low/no
down payment & interest purchasing plans there; 505.989.3960.
- Althouse Properties, Santa Fe, has a 'Cash Garden' home idea for duplex
income housing; 505.438.4663 (Bill). (I'd choose the options.)
- Wherever you choose to live, check with the County Tax Assessor's office
for delinquent tax properties.

  WEB SITES:
http://www.thegarden.net/mcs/; E-mail habib@thegarden.net: home list; house
mates; forum

 RESOURCES
  Excerpt from H.E.I.R.S. CLIPS building(s) listings: Whole list,
HOHKLIP.BIB, $5.

- T.E.A.C.H.-I.N. (Jan 1996): Intro to Teaching Ecological Accountability to
Create Healing: An Information Network, for educators. Goals, format,
values, feedback. Safe community.
- TRANET (Jan 1996): Solar chimneys. Building with nature; country learning
center; eco-villages; co-housing.
- TRANET (Mar 1996): Natural industry; environmental justice; environment
& resources; energy; food & agriculture; water & sanitation; transportation;
communication; habitat; health care.
- WARY CANARY (12, 1996): Southwest scene: Prescott & beyond. EI safe
rentals near Sedona & Flagstaff; chickens as canaries; wintering in Baja.
Plastic phone problems? Solar Energy Int'l workshops. Be wary of straw bale
& adobe homes. Raton, New Mexico.
- WELL MIND ASSOCIATION NEWSLETTER (Jan 1996): Carpet:
Wall-to-wall is a bad idea.
- WELL MIND ASSOCIATION NEWSLETTER (Feb 1996): Winter's S.A.D.
experience.
- WELL MIND ASSOCIATION Newsletter (May 1996): HEALTHY
SCHOOL HANDBOOK.

* Next time I'll begin a review of older materials. Check out "Oldies but
Goodies."

  BOOKS & TAPES:

- OWNER-BUILDER AND THE CODE: POLITICS OF BUILDING YOUR
HOME; Kern et al; Owner-Builder Pubs, 1976
- ADOBE: BUILD IT YOURSELF; McHenry; U AZ Pr, 1985
- ADOBE BUILDER; PO Box 153, Bosque NM 87006-0153; 505 861 1255;
Quarterly, $19.95
- ADOBE ARCHITECTURE; Stedman & Stedman; Sunstone Press, 1987
- COMPLETE BOOK OF UNDERGROUND HOUSES; Roy; Sterling Pub
Co, 1994
- HOW TO USE SOLAR ENERGY; Lucas; Ward Ritchie Pr, 1977
- STRAW-BALE CONSTRUCTION: THE ELEGANT SOLUTION (video);
Sustainable Systems Support; Avail from Real Goods
- BUILDING WITH STRAW (video series); Black Range Films
- DIRECTORY OF BUILDING AND EQUIPMENT GRANTS (for Non-
Profits); Research Grant Guides
- MULTIPLE CHEMICAL SENSITIVITIES. SAFE SCHOOLS: HOLDING
TOGETHER OUR CHILDREN'S FUTURE; NM Dept Educ, School Health
Unit, 1997 (brochure)

  NEWSLETTERS & MAGAZINES:

- GREEN BUILDING NEWS (Aug 1997): 1997 Green Building Conference.
Competition to design an affordable single family "green' home. Adobe
Construction Workshop. Photovoltaic Design And Installation Workshop.
On-line Green Building Directory. Agriboard Industries To Build In Austin.
Hardie Products Now Produced Regionally. New Materials Make Deck
Maintenance Easy. Venture Four Architects to Create Innovative Office and
Retail Park. Tid Bits: Austin Wholesale Decking; Green Building ratings
available for remodeling projects; AirKrete cementitous foam insulation; Pao
Lope.
- SUSTAINABLE BUILDING COALITION NEWS (Aug 1997):
RESOURCES/READING LIST: Sustainable Building Technical Manual;
Austin's Sustainable Building Sourcebook; Environmental Building News. 6th
Green Builder Conference; Hebel Aerated Concrete Block; Cob Oven
Workshops; Solar Housing UT Informal class; American Bamboo Society
Festival; Natural Building Workshop; Salt-Free Solution to Hard Water
Problems; Photovoltaic Design & Installation Workshop. European Bau
Biology; Feng Shui and Permaculture Classes; Venture Four Architects is in
pre-development phase.
- E MAGAZINE (July-Aug 1997): Affordable by design.
- OUR TOXIC TIMES (June 1997): Common Summer pests. FL pesticides in
homes; FL mosquito control. Protecting children [from lead]. Safe lawn
programs.
- Santa Fe REPORTER, HOME & GARDEN series, 4/9-30/97): 1. Innovative
home products. Garden innovations. Feng shui. Neo-traditional neighborhoods.
/ 2. Remodeling & redecorating. Surprising oasis. What's new? / 3. Dry land
gardening & landscaping. Container gardening and more. / 4. The house that
Jack never dreamed of building. Gray water gardening.
- Santa Fe REPORTER (7/9/97): Planning friends - Santa Fe REPORTER
(7/16/97): Managing growth helps jobs [letter]
- Santa Fe REPORTER (8/6/97): Money for nothing (foundations & altruism);
Recycler feels at home with junk.
- HUMAN ECOLOGIST (73, Spring 1997): Least-toxic flea control. Fungi
and their health effects. AT HOME: Used cars; interior decorations; straw
building; green cosntruciton catalog.
- ELECTRICAL SENSITIVITY NEWS (July-Aug 1997): Recent
developments. News from the cellular phone taskforce. Headaches from cell
phones. Microwave sickness, pt 5.
- NYC HEAL Newsletter (July 1997): Designers enter home fragrance field.
Assessing and mitigating environmental exposures in residential settings.
Tenants' rights on cellular antennas. Pest control group sues over poison
registry law.
- WELL MIND ASSN Newsletter (July-Aug 1997): Washington State
fluoridation watch. New video: The truth about fluoride. Farmers like
genetically altered seed.
- DESIGNER/builder (June 1997): Sustainable systems engineering. Better
living in small spaces. Environmental video resources.
- DESIGNER/builder (July 1997): Hooked on growth: Why it doesn't work.
New urbanism's unkept promise. Specifics of permaculture. Earthquake
refugee shack. Plastering with mud and clay.
- ADOBE BUILDER (Dec 1996-Feb 1997): New Mexico reinstates RE to
"regular" status. Two county building depts criticized about code matters.
Honduran pine forest adobe. Frank Lloyd Wright's favorite foundation system.
New Mexico Earth. Hill country adobe. Rammed earth: Forming. Where it's
really happening in rammed earth. Passive solar rammed earth in Durango CO.
Locating the talents and the materials for that Santa Fe style home. Talking
with William Stoddard. Passive solar adobe in Raton.

 SURVIVING: (Send in your tips for getting by, and I'll send you a free
issue)

  Books:
- THE HEALTHY HOUSEHOLD; L Bower; HHI, 1995
- MONEY TROUBLES: LEGAL STRATEGIES TO COPE WITH YOUR
DEBTS; Leonard; Nolo Press, 1996 (4th ed)

  WEB SITES:
http://www.chem-tox.com

  Excerpt from: H.E.I.R.S. BUILDING(S) Directory;
Whole list, HOH.BIB, $5

BUILDING(S)
Jim Folkman
NM HBA
505 344 3294
Adobe Council

Borealis Yurts
PO Box 362
Dover-Foxcroft ME 04426
207 564 2159
Quality since 1989

Vegetable Factory Inc
Sun-Porch Div
PO Box 368
Westport CT 06881-0368
Convertible sunspace

Sheldon Designs
759 State Rd
Princeton NJ 08540
609 683 4625  800 572 5934
E-Mail: sdesi@aol.com
Wood & Pole bldgs; planbook $4; catalog $5

Earthwood
366 Murtaugh Hill Rd
W Chazy NY 12992
518 493 7744
COMPLETE BOOK OF UNDERGROUND HOUSES $17; SAUNAS $22

Environmental Assessment & Design
250 Delaware Ave
Buffalo NY 14202
716 854 3738
Live in healthier home & body

National Institute of Building
Sciences - Publications
1201 L St NW
Washington DC 20005
BUGS MOLD & ROT $25

Underground Space Center
790 Pillsbury Dr SE
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis MN 55455
Pubs list; EARTH SHELTERED HOUSING DESIGN $20

Wayne Baltz
HomeWorks
PO Box 34
Red Feather Lakes CO 80545-0034
303 493 6593

Tull Company
5658 N Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale AZ 85253
602 949 0575  602 488 6199
Custom arch/bldg; & 619.756.0467

David Harris
4200 Brockmont NE
Albuquerque NM 87108
505 266 5005
Adobero

Celestial Construction
1599 Luisa St
Santa Fe NM 87501
505 820 0861
BaleBlock, straw, workshops

Parra Inc
322 Read St #B
Santa Fe NM 87501
505 982 7723

Ecology By Design
1341 Ocean Ave #73
Santa Monica CA 90401
310 394 4146

EARTHWORD / EOS Institute
580 Broadway #200
Laguna Beach CA 92651
714 497 1896
Green architecture; solar

Shelter Systems
224 W O'Connor ME111
Menlo Park CA 94025
415 323 6202
Website: www.shelter-systems.com
Catalog $1; portable domes+

Biosun
PO Box 7109
Tahoe City CA 96145
916 581 4734
Architect

HEALTHY HOME QUARTERLY
Allergy Educational Services
1202-1175 Broadway Ave
Toronto ON M4K 2S9 CANADA
$22/yr

BUILDING SUPPLIES
US Dept Agriculture
Alternative Agric Research & Comm Corp
202 690 1633
Ag-waste building materials

Niagara Conservation
230 Rt 206
Flanders NJ 07836
201 927 4545
Certified shower heads

Sun-Mar Corp
600 Main St
Tonawanda NY 14150-0888
800 461 2461
Composting toilets

Universal-Rundle Corp
PO Box 29
New Castle PA 16103
800 955 0316  412 658 6631
China lav tops, low flow toilets

IKEA, US, Inc
Plymouth Commons
Plymouth Meeting PA 19462

Glidden Company
925 Euclid Ave
Cleveland OH 44115
800 221 4100  216 344 8000
SPRED 2000 Low-VOC paint; wholesaler

Henry Flack International
18333 Preston Rd #460
Dallas TX 75252
800 527 4929
Finishes

Murco Wall Products
300 NE 21st
Ft Worth TX 76106
817 626 1987
Drywall & joint compounds, paints

Michael Midkiff
1500 N Indigo Dr
Tucson AZ 85745
520 743 3511
Fib ribs; polyurethane cactus rib sheets

Dahl Plumbing Supply
1000 Siler Ln
Santa Fe NM 87505
505 471 4545
Kohler fixtures

El Sol of New Mexico
1589 San Mateo Ln
Santa Fe NM 87505
505 984 1300  800 933 5004
Skylights

Adobe Factory
PO Box 519
Alcalde NM 87511-0519
505 852 4131

Ott Light Systems
28 Parker Way
Santa Barbara CA 93101
800 234 3724  805 564 3467
Full-spectrum lighting, radiation shields

Earth Studio
Jennifer Badde-Graves
6761 Sebastopol Ave #8
Sebastopol CA 95472
707 823 2569
Paints; Building consultation

Alpine Industries
PO Box 277
Mount Shasta CA 96067
916 926 2460

Environmental Home Center
1724 4th Ave S
Seattle WA 98134
206 682 7332
Wool carpet p-free; etc

Ostermann & Schelwe
PO Box 669
Spanaway WA 98387
800 344 9663
Microporous vegetable-based wood finishes

Hebel Southeast
Atlanta GA
800 994 3235  404 344 2897
Autoclaved aerated concrete solid walls

ENERGY
Mr Solar
888 677 6527
Best prices; free catalog

SEIA
WIND ENERGY WEEKLY
122 C St NW 4th Floor
Washington DC 20001-2109
202 383 2670

Energy Answers
PO Box 24
Lake Bluff IL 60044
800 776 6761
Save money, energy, environment; catalog

Southwest PV Systems & Supply
212 E Main St
Tomball TX 77375
713 351 0031

Water Power Machinery Co
PO Box 9723
Midland TX 79708
915 697 6955
Engineering Guide $15; free info

NM Energy Research & Development Inst
Info Ctr UNM
457 Washington SE #M
Albuquerque NM 87108

NM Solar Energy Industries Assn
1151 5th St
Albuquerque NM 87109
505 243 3212  505 884 1980

Robert Warren
5574 Coral Reef Ave
La Jolla CA 92037
619 273 1078
Consultant/info

SOLAR MIND
PO Box 14338
Santa Rosa CA 95402
707 765 6992
6/year; $18

FURNISHINGS
InterMetro Industries
651 N Washington St
Wilkes Barre PA 18705
800 433 2232  717 825 2741
Metal-wire storage, book cases

Ampco
PO Box 608
Rosedale MS 38769-0608
800 647 8268  601 759 3521
Metal cabinets; wholesaler

Dwyer Products Corp
418 N Calumet Ave
Michigan City IN 46360-5019
800 348 8505  219 874 5236
Metal kitchen cabinets

McCoy Inc
40100 Grand River Bldg A
Novi MI 48375
810 476 0111
Saunas

Quilts Etc
938 Becky Cir
Hudson WI 54016

Block-Tops Inc
4770 E Wesley Dr
Anaheim CA 92807
714 779 0475
Oak/maple butcher-block countertops

Solar Chef
220 Southridge Wy
Grants Pass OR 97527
800 378 4189
Solar cookers

LIVING
Institute for Community Economics
57 School St
Springfield MA 01105
413 746 8660
Comm land trusts & loan funds

Center for Collaborative Communities
103 Morse St
Watertown MA 02172
617 923 1300
Co-housing info; formation/assistance

CRESP
Anabel Taylor Hall
Cornell University
Ithica NY 14853
607 255 8276
Eco-Village Newsletter

NEW PIONEERS
Penn State University Press
820 N University Dr, Supp Bldg 1-C
University Park PA 16802-1003
800 326 9180
$26.50+$3

Trust for Public Land
116 New Montgomery St, 4th Flr
San Francisco CA 94105
415 495 4014

CoHousing Co
1250 Addison St #113
Berkeley CA 94702
510 549 9980  510 526 6124

PRACTICAL
PEOPLE, LAND, AND COMMUNITY
Yale University Press
PO Box 209040
New Haven CT 06520
$35 hardcover/$17 pb

RELOCATION

Pauley & McDonald Realty
Chino Valley AZ
800 888 4031
Chino Valley AZ (n) realtor

RURAL PROPERTY BULLETIN
PO Box 61
Caputa SD 57725
605 393 8303
E-Mail: rural@enetis.net
Website: www.cnweb.com/rural/
& www.ruralspace.com
Monthly: $16/year; $2/sample

Land Office
Brenda Solberg
PO Box 516
White Sulphur Springs MT 59645-0516
406 547 3928
E-Mail: bsoldit@aol.com

Jim Pierce Realty
803 California St
Libby MT 59923
406 293 8348
NW MT properties

Sheila Gill Sakizzie
861 S Main
Blanding UT 84511
801 678 2323
Local contact

Jean Watkins
PO Box 417
Paulden AZ 86334-0417
520 636 1068  520 445 3461
5A, elec MH, orchard, RV hook+; for sale

Richard Fox
PO Box 1292
Raton NM 87740
505 445 5994  7-9pm MT
SW Caravan report

Larry Mohney
Marianne Collins
PO Box 31
Glenwood NM 88039
& claim stakes

Saunders Company
PO Box 985
Penngrove CA 94951
707 765 5420
Real estate broker focused on sustainable living

Landmark Real Estate
76101 Covelo Rd
Covelo CA 95428
707 983 6752

 ANNOUNCEMENTS:

   The September H.E.I.R.S. SAFER TRAVEL DIRECTORY, covering Safe
Houses for rent or sale, Relocation, Transport, and more, is available for $5
US (add $1 for S&H in other NA, $2 outside NA)

 ADS ($.50/word/issue for commercial text ads, $.30/word/issue for
personal text ads)

AIR / WATER
Rich Kimball
Zeolite
PO Box 580
Chimayo NM 87522
505 351 2968
E-Mail: Homegron@Roadrunner.com
Zeolite odor control products

BUILDINGS
DESIGNER/builder
Fine Additions Inc
2405 Maclovia Ln
Santa Fe NM 87505
505 471 4549
Monthly, $28

LX & R Design
PO Box 1873
Espanola NM 87532-1873
505 753 9324
Solar/Strawbale home design

EI INFO
ECHO - Ecological Health Organization
PO Box 0119
Hebron CT 06248-0119
860 228 2693

New York City HEAL
265 Quentin Rd #C6
Brooklyn NY 11223
718 339 4970
Newsletter; $20/year singles member

HEAL of Central New York
2493A Roman Ave
Marcellus NY 13108
HEALth Briefs NL

Melva Gail Smith
Louisville Friends of a Feather
6904 E Manslick Rd
Louisville KY 40228-2314
502 239 9582
E-Mail: melvasmith@juno.com
Newsletter; info for $1 + LSASE

Laura Ward
MCS/CFS Consultant
413 Critchell Terr
Madison WI 53711-1532
608 233 0298

Chemical Injury Resource Assn of MN
PO Box 6085
Minneapolis MN 55406-0085
612 643 4220  612 469 5328
NEW HORIZONS

Chemical Injury Information Network
Cynthia Wilson
PO Box 301
White Sulphur Springs MT 59645-0301
406 547 2255
OUR TOXIC TIMES; MCS Research Fund

MCS: Health & Environment
1404 Judson
Evanston IL 60201-4722
847 866 9630
E-Mail: lynnword@aol.com
CanaryNews newsletter

Human Ecology Study Group
3217 N Peoria Ave
Peoria IL 61603
309 688 2059

HARMONY HILL COMPANION
PO Box 266
Clinton LA 70722-0266
504 683 9327
E-Mail: dipepper@aol.com
Fellowship/wellness newsletter

Environmental Health Association
1800 S Robertson Blvd #380
Los Angeles CA 90035
310 837 2048
HUMAN ECOLOGY RESOURCES

Share, Care and Prayer, Inc
PO Box 2080
Frazier Park CA 93225-2080
Christian oriented

Well Mind Association
4649 Sunnyside Ave N
Seattle WA 98103
206 547 6167
Newsletter; $15/year US

EMF
Electrical Sensitivity Network
Lucinda Grant
PO Box 4146
Prescott AZ 86302
520 778 4637
Support Grp; membership $20 US; Handbook, $23

GOODIES
Rich Kimball
LDP
PO Box 580
Chimayo NM 87522
505 351 2968
E-Mail: Homegron@Roadrunner.com
Low cost long-dx phone service

INFO
TRANET
PO Box 567
Rangeley ME 04970-0567
207 864 2252
E-Mail: tranet@igc.apc.org

MEDICAL
Assn for Comprehensive Neuro-Therapy
1120 Royal Palm Beach Blvd #283
Royal Palm Beach FL 33411
561 798 0472
Fax: 561 798 9820
LATITUDES: explores alternative treatments

Breast Cancer Action
55 New Montgomery St #323
San Francisco CA 94105-3433
415 922 8279/voice  415 922 9309/tape
Fax: 415 243 3996
E-Mail: bcaction@hooked.net

MISC
GENTLE SURVIVALIST
PO Box 4004
St George UT 84770
E-Mail: gentle-survival@rocket.co
Natural balancing wisdom: $20/yr; sample $2+SASE

PRACTICAL
Appalachia - Science in
the Public Interest
Rt 5 Box 423
Livingston KY 40445-9506
606 453 2105
Fax: 606 453 3115
E-Mail: aspi@kih.net

RELOCATION
Joyce Newkirk, Santa Fe NM
505 438 7088  800 484 2412 X7030
Safe house for sale; 3/2+office, xeriscaped, $239K

* Help save an endangered species * YOU! *
=Rich=
homegron@roadrunner.com