canadian corn efficiency

Hello everyone,

I was pleased to read, in an article entitled "Recent Improvements in the
Energy Efficiency of Agriculture: Case Studies from Ontario, Canada"
published in Agricultural Systems, #52 (1996), that Ontario farmers have
managed to increase fuel efficiency in corn production by 49.8% (!) since
1975.  This remarkable gain in efficiency seems to have come from a
substantial reduction in nitrogen fertilizers, which are being applied at a
rate of 100 kg/ha, rather than the more traditional 150 kg/ha.
I wonder if American farmers are doing as well?

D.M. Doan
McGill agriculture student

<----  End Forwarded Message  ---->

<----  End Forwarded Message  ---->