Re: SMALLFARM-MG> Organic Produce

At 12:39 PM 9/20/97 -0400, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

>Sorry to post this to the list.
>Could someone give me subscription info for the small farm mailing list?
>
>Regarding organic certification: If the USDA organic certification
>program thinks I will abide by their regulations and pay the local
>non-smallfarm/smallorganicgrower-supporting greedy,
>control-freak, profiteering, grant mongering certification non-profits
>corporations they are out of their collective minds. They've done nothing
>to help us small growers; and it appears to me that the USDA certifcation
>program is there only to help large organic operations.
>
>Support the fertile crescent concept, your local growers, local economies
>and the communities in your region. Sal, as usual and Rich are on the
>money with their comments.
>
>I thought you'd be more supportive of small organic local growers, Eric
>(Erorganic). As you well know the local NP bozos are still up to their
>tricks. Anything happening on the local permaculture, smallfarm, market
>gardening front is done by THE GROWERS THEMSELVES, the NC Cooperative
>Extension Service and the NCDA marketing division and soil/plant/nematode
>testing labs. North Carolina's first Sustainable Small Farming Curriculum
>and Library has been started by local growers (and individuals in support
>of local growers), the NC CES and Central Carolina Community College.
>
>I think I'll label my produce Naturally Grown (w/o synthetic pesticides
>and fertilizers).
>
>Lawrence
No sorry I think the USDA owns that word too.  I am trying to get a list of
all the words we are no longer able to use if we farm organic and don't pay
off all these people.  But I think that naturally grown w/o synthetic
pesticides and fertilizer is a no no and if one of the organic Gestapo hear
you saying such things at a farmers market even wispier it (no matter if it
is true  ) you are in deep do do.  If fact you better not let any of your
customers in CSA think your grow naturally .  You don't understand they own
all the words.  It is free speech but they own the words .  and you thought
free speech meet it was going to be free . It is like one of those big
business take overs .  you know the big fish  just eat the small fish  and
the little fish try to get away.   Except this time it is big government
just taking over the organic growers and organic growers dont make a move
unless you pay the USDA and all the other parasites  and now you have to
bow down to the golden calf saying "t is you oh Great USDA that is making
me organic not God. it is your rules I will follow ,it is your ring I will
kiss. salami salami baloney