Re: Sal's Frustration and Certification

Jeez Sal...

I just finished reading another of your posts and I have to contrast my
own experience with yours.  Far from being exercised about the injustices
you so passionately describe, I get to ignore the whole organic
certification issue.  I grow "Food with the farmer's face on it" through
a CSA.  I don't have to worry about labels, there are no labels; I don't
have to worry about making claims or whispering the "O" word without
certification; I don't have to worry about paying inspectors and cert
agencies and mountains of paperwork.

Our CSA members know me.  They trust me.  They bring their kids to the
farm and pick beans right off the trellis and eat them right there.  They
KNOW I don't spray poisons on the food they eat and they don't need a
certifying agency or an officially approved label to reassure them.

Sal, you're the right man in the right business.  I'd trust you in a
minute.  You're just butting your head against the wrong marketing
scheme. You're gonna get sick if you don't relax a bit.    Go local.
Gather your customers to you.  Put a face on the thing.  People are
starving for wholesome, nutritious food and they'll pay for it.

Woody Wodraska--Seeking Common Ground CSA
Honeoye Falls, NY          woodyw@juno.com
"The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land." -A. Lincoln