Fwd: MEDIA WORKSHOP (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
For more information contact Prescott Bergh or Kat Griffith (CC'd).

Kat Griffith, Communications Coordinator, Wisconsin Integrated Cropping
Systems Trial (WICST) and the Michael Fields Agricultural Institute
tel. 608/233-5029 (home office, afternoons best)
fax 608/265-3020 (please call me if you send a fax)
email: kbgriffi@facstaff.wisc.edu
snailmail: 2122 Kendall Ave., Madison WI 53705

MEDIA SKILLS AND STRATEGY WORKSHOP
FOR SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE ACTIVISTS!

Mark your calendars!  A two-day media workshop for sustainable ag
activists is scheduled for November 4-6 in Minnesota.  The workshop is
designed to meet the needs of program staff who do communications and
outreach, as well as farmers and others who conduct field days and speak
publicly on behalf of sustainable agriculture.  The workshop is organized
by the Michael Fields Agricultural Institute of Wisconsin and the
Minnesota Department of Agriculture, and funded by the W. K. Kellogg
Foundation.

The workshop will cover the following skills:

· Message development
· Writing for greater media impact
· On-camera interviews and public speaking
· Media tactics
· Radio actualities (“home-produced” radio spots)
· TV and radio talk shows
· Maximizing attendance at and media coverage of your events
· Creating individual media plans

Many of your colleagues from SAWG, the Campaign for Sustainable
Agriculture, and the Integrated Farming Systems network have attended
previous workshops in August of '96 and February of '97.  You may read
what they said about the experience at the end of this announcement.
Below are details of the workshop and a registration form.

If you are interested, register NOW.  The last workshop was substantially
oversubscribed, and we had to turn people away.

Cost:  Participants will cover their own transportation, room and board.
Room and board will cost about $70 per person.  A $50 deposit must
accompany the registration form.  A limited number of travel scholarships
will be available for those who must fly.

Location: The workshop will be in Alexandria, MN, about 2 1/2 hours
northwest of Minneapolis.

Accomodations: The workshop will be held at Luther Crest Bible Camp, a
pleasant new facility in rural MN.  Rooms sleep three, and have private
baths.

Timing:  Workshop registration will begin at 4 pm on Tuesday, November 4,
with dinner at 5:30 and the first workshop activity at 7 pm.  The workshop
will end at 4 pm on Thursday, November 6.

Eligibility: Anyone working in sustainable agriculture advocacy
(particularly with the IFFS network, SAWG or the Campaign for Sustainable
Agriculture) may attend. The workshop will be particularly useful for
those who already work to some degree in communications, education and
outreach. Participants should be committed to doing media work as an
integral part of their outreach work following the workshop.
Organizations and projects are encouraged to send more than one individual
to the workshop.

Scholarships: There will be travel scholarships available for a few
participants.  Stipends will be negotiated individually, and will be made
on a first come, first served basis.

Trainers: The trainers will be from the Safe Energy Communications Council,
which has provided highly regarded workshops to environmental and
sustainable agriculture activists nationwide.

Applications: Contact Prescott Bergh at the address below for a
registration form, or use the form provided below.  Registration is on a
first come, first served basis.

Prescott Bergh, Outreach Coordinator
Sustainable Agriculture Program of the MN Dept. of Agriculture
90 West Plato Blvd.
Saint Paul, MN 55107
tel. 612/215-0367
fax 612/297-7678
email prescott.bergh@state.mn.us

For more information contact Prescott Bergh or Kat Griffith (below):

Kat Griffith, Communications Coordinator, Wisconsin Integrated Cropping
Systems Trial (WICST) and the Michael Fields Agricultural Institute
tel. 608/233-5029 (home office, afternoons best)
fax 608/265-3020 (please call me if you send a fax)
email: kbgriffi@facstaff.wisc.edu
snailmail: 2122 Kendall Ave., Madison WI 53705

Media Skills and Strategy Workshop Registration Form

Name_______________________________________________________________

Phone/fax ____________________________________________________________

Organization/project____________________________________________________

Role or title in project or organization
______________________________________

Mailing address _______________________________________________________

Email _______________________________________________________________

____ I have special dietary needs (describe what you DO NOT eat)
_____________

____ I cannot attend without scholarship assistance

         Estimated minimum stipend needed $___________

____ Check enclosed for $50 deposit

____ I can offer a ride from the Twin Cities (number of seats: ____)

____ I need a ride from the Twin Cities

____ I need rides to and from the airport in Minneapolis

On a scale of one (nonexistent) to five (excellent) I rank my media skills
and experience

 _____

Payment: Please make checks payable to the Michael Fields Agricultural
Institute.  Mail completed applications and deposit to Kat Griffith, 2122
Kendall Ave, Madison WI 53705.   Call Kat at 608/233-5029 or email
KBGRIFFI@FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU for further information.

Note: All registrants will receive an information packet with maps and
additional information at least one week prior to the workshop.

COMMENTS FROM PREVIOUS WORKSHOP ATTENDEES

“This was incredibly useful!  One of the best hands-on ... trainings I’ve
attended in a long time.  I’ll definitely be using it back home.”

"What a productive use of two days!  At the media training we went beyond
talking about what is ‘newsworthy’ to learning how to make information
‘newsworthy’.  And then we went beyond talking about hypothetical
situations to getting some practical experience -- actually writing news
releases, creating public service announcements, recording 30 second radio
news spots and playing interviewee on camera.  I learned skills that I was
able to use right away when I returned home."

“The training was worth every second. My enthusiasm for doing effective
media work has not diminished even now, 3 months later.”

“Our media work had been haphazard and hit and miss.  This workshop was
extremely valuable in making me more productive with the time I spend on
media and communications work.”

Katherine (Kat) Griffith
Communications Coordinator
Wisconsin Integrated Cropping Systems Trial
U.W. Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems and
Michael Fields Agricultural Institute
Mail address: CIAS, 1450 Linden Drive, Rm. 146, Madison, WI 53706 (best for
campus mail; otherwise I prefer to receive mail directly at my home)
Home address: 2122 Kendall Ave, Madison, WI 53705 tel. (608)233-5029