Re: Soil testing

pmillner@asrr.arsusda.gov
Sat, 20 Jul 1996 11:51:30 -0400 (EDT)

There are several other small companies in addition to Woods End that are
emerging to fill this need. One I just recently spoke with is "Soil
Control Lab" 42 Hangar Way, Stsonville, CA 95076. Mr. Frank Shields.

Other I know who have focussed on expanding their capabilities to
specifically include organic materials include:

A & L Eastern Agricultural Laboratories
7621 Whitepine Road, Richmond, VA 232347-2296 tel: 804-743-9401

BioCheck Loabs, 1015 Garden Lake Parkeway, Toledo, OH tel: 419-385-9585
Bio Cycle Magazine also shows other in their advertisements.

Part of the answer to your very good questions is that often there is no
single lab that will provide (without subcontracted work) all of the
analyses that would be beneficial to practioners of
sustainable/alternative farming. Indeed, some of the important testable
parameters, especially the biological ones, have yet to be agreed upon in
the research community and standardized to the point of being typically
available to non-research, commercial testing services. This is
currently a big impediment for companies to offer such tests.

Pat Millner
Soil Microbial Systems Lab
BARC, Bldg. 318, Rm 108
Beltsville, MD. 20705-2350