Re: Relevance of Spatial Information Technologies

Irwin Weintraub (iweintra@rci.rutgers.edu)
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 10:24:55 -0400

At 06:30 PM 8/28/96 +0900, Ancha Srinivasan wrote:
>I would greatly appreciate if any members of this newsgroup could direct me
>to any recently published literature or unpublished information on the
>relevance of spatial information technologies (SIT) in improving the
>productivity and/or sustainability in small farms (<2 ha), especially in
>developing countries of the tropics and subtropics. Any information on
>efforts to convince farmers or farmers' associations to use GIS, GPS, etc.
>in developing countries is especially welcome.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Ancha Srinivasan (ancha@vtt.co.jp)

Have you tried searching Abstracts on Tropical Agriculture (TROPAG in
electronic format)? This database conatains over 500 abstracts monthly of
world literature on tropical and sub-tropical agriclture from journals,
mongraphs, conference proceedings, etc. A good source for finding
literature from tropical countries.

This database changed its name in 1996 it is now called: Agriculture and
Environment for Developing Regions. A comprehensive information source for
Africa, Asia, the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean. Still called
TROPAG in electronif format.

Try "information systems," "information Service," and "innovation adoption"
in the subject index.

Also, AGRIS (AGRINDEX in the printed editions)is a good source of
information on agriculture in developing countries. It is published by the
Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN.

Irwin Weintraub
Head, Stephen and Lucy Chang Science Library
Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
iweintra@rci.rutgers.edu