Re: Is Organic Food Better?

Joseph St.Lawrence (stlawrence@myna.com)
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 14:48:28 +0000

> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 12:56:27 -0500 (EST)
> To: sanet-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
> From: Raymond Weil <rw17@umail.umd.edu>
> Subject: Is Organic Food Better?

> Is Organically Grown Food Better for You? I asked that question decades
> ago, and every year students in my soils and sustainable agriculture classes
> ask it anew. I have made several attempts to get at the truth of the matter
> in the scientific literature. I have served on graduate committees for
> students researching aspect of the issue. My conclusion has always been
> the same: Foods grown with organic production methods do not differ
> significantly from conventionally grown foods (neither better or worse) with
> regard to nutritional value. They do not even differ with regard taste (when
> studies are done properly to avoid bias). Recently a double-blind test
> panel in Israel preferred the taste of organic in some cases and
> conventional in others...again no consistent pattern.
>snip<
Interesting points. There was a debate the other day on
this issue at the Toronto Food Research Network. I suggested that
organic farming practices could improve the nutritional content of
vegetables, but a nutritionist in the group countered saying that the
amount of nutrient one absorbs from the average unit of consumption
is too small for that to have much of an effect. (The studies
I cited can be found in Seeds of Change by K. Ausubel, second last
chapter.)
I think the issue of nutrition is perhaps not so much organic v.s. conventional
methods of cultivation, but rather the varieties from which each type of
farmer is able to choose. The typical hybrids, bred for
durability, uniformity, disease resistance, size, colour, yield,
or whatever, are not the old varieties that people cultivated because of their
virtues in the kitchen, on the palate, or in the root cellar. A brandywine tomato
from an organic farm and one from a conventional operation may well
be indistinguishable, but a conventional farmer is, I would argue,
not as likely as an organic farmer to grow such a variety.
Again, the Seeds of Change book suggests that the older varieties
are more nutritious than modern hybrids, in many cases containing
more vitamins, free amino acids, etc. It is interesting that the issue has not
received more attention. Perhaps not surprising however, as I am sure most
chemical companies who fund research are not terribly interested in consumers
finding-out that organic food is more nutritious.
As you observe, environmental issues alone provide plenty of reasons to
favour organic over industrial methods of cultivation -- with the
caveat that the organic production is conducted in a sustainable
fashion. I hope we make the transition before we have to.
Regards, j