Re: purslane

Richard Kashmanian (Kashmanian.Richard@epamail.epa.gov)
3 Dec 96 17:58:16

Jeff Goebel's thoughts are similar to mine. However, my comments deal with
purslane and build on a previous posting about it. As background, my ethnic
roots are Armenian. My family has made and eaten purslane for years -- we
first steam it, then mix it in with the same rice- and onion-based stuffing
that we put into stuffed grape leaves (no secret family recipes divulged
here). I know that the grape leaves are an Armenian recipe, so I expect so is
the purslane salad. Anyway, in a cold salad, it is delicious! As a result, I
don't regard purslane in a garden as a weed, but as a crop. And David
Leonard's very informative posting indicates the nutritional benefits from
purslane. Well there may also be another "benefit" -- it is an amazing
laxative (whether you want it or not), maybe due to the fiber or maybe
something else in it. So back to Jeff's point, what if purslane was harvested
as a second crop, as a food source, a natural laxative, and/or some other
valued product(s)? I don't know what the economics would look like, but they
may be favorable to this sort of an approach.

Take care,

Richard Kashmanian
kashmanian.richard@epamail.epa.gov

---------------------- Forwarded by Richard Kashmanian on 12/03/96 05:30 PM