Re: research ideas

Stephen Judd (judd@scr.siemens.com)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 16:35:43 -0500 (EST)

>From judd Tue Dec 10 16:18:08 1996
To: GEOFF.SEAVERS@bbsrc.ac.uk
Subject: Re: research ideas
Content-MD5: i693jkLKLLQ0MnTLDLTS0w==

> Some of the more modern combines do have special modifications to make them
> more effective at reducing crop grain losses from the back end. The difficulty
> with catching weed seeds also is the high throughput of straw and trash. We
> don't think a device could be built that would operate quickly enough to do
> this. Perhaps you know better?

I have heard that chickens and geese (and many other birds) are great
seed-cleaner-uppers. But they probably have a hard time finding individual
seeds scattered in dirt on a trashed field. Would it help if we could
concentrate the seeds into narrow lines or piles so that the birds
could do a better job of finding and eating them?
This concentration job might be easier than
the total-separation-and-retention job
to do quickly on the back of a combine. Any thoughts?
sj