Re: Cotton chemicals and environmental impact

James V. Worstell (jvworstell@juno.com)
Sun, 15 Dec 1996 08:40:07 PST

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996 23:20:31 -0500 "Elgin Freeman"
<efreeman@surfsouth.com> writes:
>About ten years ago we rented our farm to this guy who planted cotton
>on every acre.
Elgin,
Thanks for your post. Unfortunately your experience is common in my
area: the Delta.

However, cotton production does not have to destroy wildlife and poison
the land. Steve McKaskle in Braggadocio, Missouri last year produced
totally organic cotton with yields as high or higher than his
conventional neighbors.

Cecil Brooking of Ferriday, Louisiana uses 1/3 the pesticide of his
neighbors to protect his beneficial insects and has the top county
yields.

Jim Whitfield of Yazoo City, Mississippi, uses organic soil-building
techniques and got three times the yield of his neighbors in the 95
drought with reduced pesticide use.

Cotton is wonderful stuff and it can be grown in ways safe for wildlife
and people.

The best source of practical information is
Van Ayers,
ayersv@ext.missouri.edu,
Tel: 1573-748-5531
Fax: 1573-748-9531

Van is also a leader in Delta Land and Community which has a goal of
spreading the word about alternatives to pesticides in cotton. The word
is getting out about the harmful effects of pesticides, but farmers don't
believe they have alternatives. Pesticide companies have mega-bucks to
promote their products, but farmers don't hear about alternatives.
hanks,
Jim================.V. Worstell, Ph.D.oordinatorelta Land and Community,
Inc.lmyra, Arkansas 72003
501-673-6346ax: 501-673-7219