Re: Labels on GE!

Stephen Judd (judd@scr.siemens.com)
Tue, 24 Dec 1996 16:38:54 -0500 (EST)

> From: sal <sals@rain.org>
>
> I wish they would label their GE so us that do not want to partake in this
> great experiment can avoid Genetic Engineered life forms . If they are
> going to be taking genes and mixing them all up I think I for one would
> like to pass on this one!For religious reasons among others,I watch what I
> eat . So could these wise people please label your goodies because not
> every one wants to play frankenstein. We should have a choice and to have a
> choice we need to be informed. Label it!

Surely the problem is much worse than just needing labels!
If we individually had a choice of what genes to interact with
and which ones to avoid, this would amount merely to a private issue,
like choosing a TV channel to watch.
But no!
We are all roiling in the same biosphere--our one and only genetic stewpot.
Any ramifications of new frankensteinian DNA might easily be uncontrollable.
It is very much a joint global PUBLIC concern.
sj