Re: more agriculture and less politics

Patricia Dines (73652.1202@compuserve.com)
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 19:13:41 -0500

> Does anyone know of a sustainable agriculture mailing list that focuses
> more on the agriculture and less on the politics? (Gretchen E Becker)

<<Gretchen - THANKS for asking. I've begun to wonder the same thing,
particularly as I notice formerly active contributors UNSUBSCRIBING.
Ann (E. Ann Clark)

Hi -

I've been puzzled by this thread. While I think it's great to know about
other lists and how the people gathered there might carve a topic
differently, I feel I'm hearing in this exchange more than a request for
info but instead a criticism of this list (ex. implying that this perceived
imbalance is causing people to leave).

If this is indeed the subtext, I find the approach of it strange. I think
it's important to not think of this list like a fixed thing put out by a
central body, but rather as an ongoing conversation by a group of people on
a topic of interest. In that context, all sorts of people can pop up and
contribute what they feel is relevant and interesting to the topic at hand,
offering info or comments or asking questions, etc. Like any conversation,
each person might not be interested in everything discussed, and can have a
variety of responses to that (being judgemental, curious, stimulated,
etc.). But also like a conversation - and perhaps even more so than an
in-person conversation - you can participate in the conversation and help
to shape it. If you want to talk about something else - you can just bring
it up! The people who talk are the ones who create the conversation - by
definition.

To enjoy email lists, I think it's important to take responsibility for
offering positive constructive contributions toward what interests you
(rather than standing separate and making negative judgements because
people don't meet one's vision). And I've also found many on this list
open to discussing our list's direction in general (as we have just
recently), but it's most successful if done as *we* offering positive
visions to each other, as we shape this conversation together.

I also think it's most useful to keep an open mind to different approaches
to the topic at hand. Many of us on this list are committed to supporting
the adoption of sustainable ag and thus feel explorations of corporations,
public policy, citizen psychology, etc. are vital to the implementation of
that vision. That to us is part of what makes this list an opportunity.
Not just how to grow apples without Diazinon, but also why farmers don't
make that choice. But I've also seen people talk techniques on this list,
and if you wanted more of that, I think it'd be pretty easy to stimulate.

I'm not saying it's unreasonable to want to know what other lists are out
there - in fact, I'm sure many of us would also be interested to know more
about that. But I'd also like to invite you, and anyone else, to stimulate
the conversation you want here - to offer info and ask questions that stir
up the conversations on this list that would interest you. If done
constructively and from a "we" context (vs a "you guys" context), I'm sure
many would be delighted to explore the contributions and the viewpoints!

Best wishes to everyone for a happy and sustainable new year!

P. Dines