Re: Politics, yuk!

Irwin Weintraub (iweintra@rci.rutgers.edu)
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 11:54:21 -0400

>Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 08:43:53 -0400
>To: sanet-mg@ces.ncsu.edu
>From: Irwin Weintraub <iweintra@rci.rutgers.edu>
>Subject: Re: Politics, yuk!
>
>One of the best definitions I have seen for sustainable agriculture is the
following:

>"A sustainable food and agriculture system is one which is environmentally
sound, economically viable, socially respnsible, nonexploitative, and which
serves as the foundation for future generations. It must be approached
through an interdisciplinary focus which addressess the many interrelated
parts of the entire food and agricultural system, at local, regional,
national, and interrelated levels." (Allen, Patricia L. et. al.
Sustainability in the balance: Expanding the definition of sustainable
agriculture. Santa Cruz, CA, University of California, Agroecology Program,
August, 1992. 8 p.)

>Soule and Piper pointed out in their book, Farming in Nature's Image: Among
the principles involved in establishment of sustainable agriculture
practices are fostering an ethic of land stewardship, humane treatment of
animals, healthy rural communities, public confidence in the quality and
safety of the food supply, opportunities for farmers to innovate and
proster, widening the knowledge base, access to information, improved
relationships between government, industry and agriculture, and better
cooperation among nations for achieving global sustainability.
>(Soule, Judith D and Jon K. Piper. Farming in Nature's Image: An Ecological
Approach to Agriculture. Washington, DC, Island Press, 1992).

>Sustainable agriculture differs from other agricultural systems by
emphasizing a holistic approach to producing food and fiber which include
the social issues that effect rural communities such as health,
communication, transportation, economics, etc. Without looking at the whole
picture and the impacts of decisionmaking upon society, one cannot attain a
sustainable society. Call it "politics" if you like, but don't separate it
from the debate about sustainability - if you do try to separate it, you are
back to conventional agriculture and its emphasis on production as the only
goal.