Re: Ag, politics, biotech, and SANet

Daniel D. Worley (dan.worley@juno.com)
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 17:41:04 AST

Hi Patricia,

In a note discussing genetically engineered crops and the question
posed by Lockhart, you wrote in part:

> - but, on the other
>hand, people welfare and food stamps that actually *do* feed the hungry
are
>"too expensive" for us to afford.

I agreed with almost 99% of what you had to say there until I read that
small comment. I am not at all aware of your background and therefore
have no information on how you may have come to the conclusion that such
programs are beneficial. But having lived a life where I have been many
times closely associated with persons receiving state and federal
welfare, and having been in a family where welfare was a way of life for
several years, I can state categorically that very little of the welfare
programs that have been in existence in the US for the last 50 years has
done any good at all.

Such programs, including the Food Stamp program are nothing more than
giveaway programs that are taken advantage of by the lazy, indolent, and
cheats. I have seen, and continue to see, perfectly healthy, capable
people, both male and female, collecting welfare checks and food stamps.
I see those same people WORKING three or four days a week (some even
more), and being paid under the table in cash. This keeps the welfare
check coming in for the "worker" and saves the business having to pay
employee benefits (which normally are 35% to 50% over wages).

I see these same people, and others who deign to work at all, spending
most, if not all of their welfare checks on real essential commodities
like alcohols, tobacco, and intertainment. I used to see food store
owners converting food stamps into cash or selling non-food items for
food stamps. That no longer happens in PR because there are no food
stamps per se. They gave up trying several years ago and started issuing
checks for the amount instead of the stamps.

The programs should have been modified long ago to force recipients to
work or train for new jobs and to force an end to the program after a
time limit except in for special cases such as disability.

When a case worker's job depends o the number of cases being "active",
that case worker is motivated toward keeping as many "clients" as
possible. That perpetrates the program rather than moving individuals
from welfare to work.

The entire welfare program of the country should be based on the
premise that welfare is a stop gap measure to help in a time of crisis.
And to cut that time to a minimum.

If you give a man a fish, you feed him for today. Teach him to fish,
and you have fed him for life. (Don't know who said that, but I like
it).

--Dan in Sunny Puerto Rico--