Job Description (fwd)

Andy Clark (aclark@nal.usda.gov)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 03:07:59 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 14:17:09 -0500 (EST)
From: ACCOFOUND@aol.com
To: aclark@nal.usda.gov
Subject: Job Description

Job Announcement
Farm Apprenticeship Position
The Robert W. Straus Eco-System Farm

We offer an 18-month apprenticeship program for those seriously committed to
learning the craft of farming. The position starts on April 28, 1997 and
will continue through December of 1998. Individualized instruction and
experience are offered in all aspects of organic vegetable production,
including the use of modern farm machinery.

We operate a Community Supported Agriculture Program, (CSA), that serves 50
households. We grow over 50 varieties of vegetables, herbs and flowers. We
are a demonstration farm actively engaged in adaptive research and education.
We farm on an eight acre field that is certified organic. The field has a
long history of harmful farming practices, thus soil regeneration is a major
component of our work.

The farm is located within the boundaries of Piscataway Park/National Parks
East and is managed by The Accokeek Foundation in trust with the National
Parks Service. The farm sits on the banks of the Potomac River across from
Mount Vernon in Southern Maryland.

Experience in organic agriculture is preferred, though not necessary. A
strong desire to learn, work outdoors in all types of weather, and work hard
under pressure are required. The apprentice will be required to lead tours
for school students, and appropriate training will be provided.

The apprentice will work from late April thru Christmas as a Junior
Apprentice. There is a two month break, and then the position changes to
Senior Apprentice and runs from late-Feb. until late-Nov. We offer a monthly
stipend and will assist the apprentice in finding local and affordable
housing. The Accokeek Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Application deadline: March 15, 1997. Contact: Shane LaBrake, The Accokeek
Foundation, 3400 Bryan Point Road, Accokeek, MD 20607.
Tel: (301) 283-2113, FAX: (301) 283-2049