                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #122

April 10, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact the
appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*Of Seeds and Shamans: The Appropriation of the
Scientific and Technical Knowledge of Indigenous and
Local Communities, 1996.* Naomi Roht-Arriaza. Reviews
significant cases in which corporations, Northern
universities and multilateral agencies have taken
traditional knowledge and used it for profit without
compensating the governments or peoples from whom it was
taken. Analyzes mechanisms by which traditional knowledge
is appropriated and discusses potential ways to restrict
appropriation -- for example, by expanding intellectual
property rights or implementing private "bioprospector"
contracts. 45 pp. Printed in Michigan Journal of
International Law, Vol. 17, No. 4, Summer 1996. For cost
and ordering information, contact Maureen Bishop,
Michigan Journal of International Law, University of
Michigan, Hutchins Hall, Ann Arbor, MI 48109; phone (313)
763-6100; maureena@umich.edu.

*Biotechnology: Building on Farmers' Knowledge, 1996.* J.
Bunders, B. Haverkort and W. Hiemstra, eds. Investigates
traditional technologies farmers use to improve crop and
livestock production and food preservation, and compares
these technologies with modern genetic engineering in
terms of usefulness to small farmers and impacts on
health and environment. Provides case studies of several
traditional "biotechnologies" used by farmers, including
sorghum fermentation for food preservation, traditional
veterinary practices and biopesticides. Stresses that
genetic engineering technologies are not well suited for
small farmers' needs. 240 pp. UK$8. Macmillan Education
Ltd., Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS, England; phone
(441 256) 329-242; fax (441 256) 814-642; email
v.izat@macmillan.co.uk.

*Biodiversidad: Sustento y Cultura, October 1996.*
(Spanish). Genetic Resources Action International (GRAIN)
and Red de Ecologia Social Amigos de la Tierra Uruguay
(REDES-AT). Trimesterly periodical focuses on political
and scientific aspects of agricultural biodiversity and
biotechnology, especially in developing countries.
October 1996 issue includes articles about loss of plant
biodiversity, farmer-centered strategies for conserving
biodiversity and farmer and community rights over
traditional knowledge. GRAIN, Girona 25, pral. E-08010,
Barcelona, Spain; phone (34-3) 301-13-81; fax (34-3) 301-
16-27; email grain@gn.apc.org. REDES-AT, Avda. Millan
4113, 12900 Montevideo, Uruguay; phone (598-2) 35 62 65;
fax (598-2) 38 16 40; email redesur@chasque.apc.org.

*El Control Biologico en America Latina, 1996.* (Spanish
with some English portions). Miguel Zapater, ed. Presents
compilation of papers on the current situation and
historic development of biological control in Latin
America. Discusses advances in pest, weed and vector
control in many Latin American countries, and describes
national policies and programs related to biological
control. 142 pp. Miguel Zapater, Facultad de Agronomia,
Universidad de Buenos Aires, 1417 Buenos Aires,
Argentina; phone (54-1) 524-8067; fax (54-1) 522-8295.

*The Directory of Environmental Websites on the Internet,
1997.* U.S. Environmental Directories, Inc. Lists
environmental websites and cross-indexes them by subject.
Provides one-sentence descriptions of the websites'
sponsoring organizations, but does not include
information about website content. Includes URLs for
several groups that work on pesticide reform/sustainable
agriculture issues, including PANNA, National Coalition
Against the Misuse of Pesticides (NCAMP), Citizen's
Clearinghouse for Hazardous Wastes, Union of Concerned
Scientists and others. 18 pp. US$10.75. U.S.
Environmental Directories, P.O. Box 65156, St. Paul, MN
55165; phone (612) 331-6050.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.