Re: Delaney Still Applies to Food Additives

Chuck

Thank you for answering my question.

The reason why I asked is because I am investigating phthalates and their
uses in relationship to endocrine effects and children. Two paper written
by Meek and Chen 1994 in Environmental Carcinogens & Ecotoxicology Review
concerning dibutyl phthalate and di(2-ethylhexyl phthalate show a higher
intake in children in age catergories 0.5 to 4.0.

Note this is a canadian study and not directly applicable to the american
food supply.

Phthalates are classified as food additives in 4 sections of the 21CFR,
175.105, 176.180, 176.180 and 176.170. They are also used as carriers of
pesticides according to the EPA. Specifically they are named as aduvant to
slimicides in the CFR and this puts them within the realm of
antimicrobials in the FQPA.

Thus this is a case where their use is split between two areas of
legislation because the FQPA's defintion of pesticides include inert and
active ingredients, but phthalates appear to have "active" endocrine
effects based on reproductive studies on rats and mice.

See "Reproductive Toxicity of Di-n-butlylphthalate in a continuous
breeding protocol in Sprague-Dawley Rats. by Robert Wine, Ling-Hong Li,
Leta Hommel Barnes, Dushyant K.Gulati and Robert E Chapin in Enviromental
Health Perstpectives Vol 105, Number 1, January 1997.

Teige Davidson
Graduate Student
Tufts University
School of Nutrition Science & Policy