                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #126

May 12, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*Sampling for Pesticide Residues in California Ground
Water, 1997.* California Department of Pesticide
Regulations (DPR). Presents findings of 1996 well water
sampling in California, in which wells were sampled in
every county for at least some of 121 pesticide active
ingredients. Reports number of wells where pesticides
were detected and number of times each pesticide was
detected. DBCP was found more than any other pesticide
(370 times out of 1,884 wells sampled) but none of these
detections were verified in follow up analyses. 97 pp.
Free. DPR, Environment Monitoring and Pest Management
Branch, 1020 N Street, Sacramento, CA 95814; phone (916)
324-4100; fax (916) 324-4088.

*Ground water Markets in Pakistan: Participation and
Productivity, 1996.* Ruth Meinzen-Dick, International
Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). Studies
efficiency, equity and environmental impacts of ground
water markets (in which farmers with access to ground
water sell water to other farmers) in Pakistan. Explores
government's options for improving farmers access to
ground water for irrigation. Finds that agricultural
productivity is increased through ground water markets.
76 pp. Single copies free. IFPRI, 1200 Seventeenth
Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036-3006; phone (202) 862-
5600; fax (202) 467-4439; email ifpri@cgnet.com.

*Water Resources in the Twenty-First Century: Challenges
and Implications for Action, 1997.* Mark W. Rosegrant,
International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
Discusses threats to agricultural water supply from
pollution, growing demand, salinization and other
causes, and describes ways to increase water
availability, including desalination, waste water reuse,
capture and diversion of rainfall and using surface and
ground water. Examines potential to manage water supply
and/or water demand to conserve water supplies, and
makes policy recommendations. 27 pp. Single copies free.
IFPRI (see above).

*Subsidies in Watershed Development Projects in India:
Distortions and Opportunities, 1996.* John M. Kerr, N.K.
Sanghi, G. Sriramappa. Examines effects of subsidies on
watershed development projects in India. Finds that
direct subsidies can undermine agricultural development
and poverty alleviation, and discusses alternatives to
watershed subsidies. 23 pp. Contact International
Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) for
cost/order information. IIED, 3 Endsleigh Street, London
WC1H Odd, UK; phone (44-171) 388-2117; fax (44-171) 388-
2826; email iiedagri@gn.apc.org.

*A People's Guidebook to the Environment, 1995.* Mary
Antonette Beroya. Provides brief descriptions for many
terms and concepts related to environmental topics,
including toxic chemicals, water, desertification,
energy and green development. Summarizes issues related
to food security and pesticides such as globalization
and PAN's Dirty Dozen campaign. 124 pp. US$10.
Documentation for Action Groups in Asia (DAGA), 96, 2nd
District, Pak Tin Village, Mei Tin Road, Shatin, NT,
Hong Kong; phone (852) 691-1068; (852) 692-3805; email
daga@hk.super.net.

*NOTE* Aerial Pesticide Drift Management, described in Resource Pointer
#125, can be ordered via email. Send requests to Ron Noyes; email
nron@agen.okstate.edu.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.