Re: seed diversity

Dear Patricia,
I don't have your e-mail address so I'm sending this via sanet (appologies to
all those for whom it's not relevant).
You might try Simon Linington or John Dickie at the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew.
Kew have funding from the Millenium Commission in the UK to produce a Millenium
Seed Bank Project. The aims of this project are to:

Collect and conserve samples of most of the UK's native seed-bearing species by
the year 2000.

Collect and conserve seed samples from 10% of the world's seed bearing species
during the years 2000-2009, concentrating on dryland regions and involving
collaboration of organisations in many countries.

Make the collections available for research.

Carry out seed research to maximise efficiency of the above conservation
effort; develop a database of seed information and disseminate information.

Provide training and research opportunities, particularly for the overseas
collaborating organisations.

Provide a building, by the year 2000, as a focus for the above activities to
house the seed bank, research and training facilities and general public
access.

Anyone interested should contact the Seed conservation section, Royal Botanic
Gardens, Kew, Wakehurst Place, Ardingly, West Sussex RH17 6TN, UK - Tel: (+44)
(0)1444 894000, Fax: (+44) (0)1444 894069, E-Mail: s.linington@rbgkew.org.uk

I hope this helps. Kew would probably not be able to help directly with funding
but they have many other contacts around the world.

Geoff
- ------------------------------------------------

Geoff Seavers
IACR-Long Ashton Research Station