                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #139

August 20, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Conference
on Preventable Causes of Cancer in Children, September
15-16, 1997, Sheraton National Hotel, Arlington, VA.*
(Conference). Conference will explore why the number of
new cancer cases among U.S. children continues to rise,
focusing on potential role of environmental toxins.
Scientific presentations will examine current trends in
childhood cancer; parental employment and childhood
cancer; environment and cancer; and what scientists
don't know about chemical risks. Includes workshops on
risk factor identification, molecular markers of
exposure and susceptibility and measurement of exposure
to environmental agents. Conference is free. To
register, contact Conference Coordinator, Suite 500,
8601 Georgia Ave., Silver Spring, MD 20901; phone (301)
589-5318; fax (301) 589-8487; email cancer@emsus.com.

*Vermont's Atrazine Addiction: Contamination, Cancer and
Saving the Farmers Who Care, 1997.* Jennifer Ferrara and
Cathy Donahue. Reviews hazards of pesticide use in general
and discusses Vermont's changing agriculture, particularly
the state's declining number of family farms. Describes
threats from atrazine use, including cancer and endocrine
disruption, and says that Vermont residents are exposed to
cancer risks from atrazine 19 times greater than the federal
government's acceptable risk level for atrazine in food.
Calls for banning atrazine in Vermont and promoting policies
that support environmentally sound family farms. 24 pp. US$3.
Food & Water, RR1, Box 68D, Walden, VT 05873; phone toll free
(800) EAT-SAFE or (802) 563-3300; fax (802) 563-3310.

*Great Lakes Great Lawns: A Homeowners' Guide to Growing
Lawns without Pesticides, 1996.* Wisconsin's
Environmental Decade Institute. Presents straightforward
information about how to make lawns grow and thrive
without pesticides and synthetic fertilizers. Describes
range of problems caused by lawn pesticides, focusing on
North American Great Lakes region. Gives guidelines for
choosing grass, mowing, watering, fertilizing and
managing weeds, insects and other pests. Includes
suggestions for encouraging beneficial insects and
wildlife. 46 pp. US$5. Wisconsin's Environmental Decade
Institute, 122 State St., Suite 200, Madison, WI 53703;
phone (608) 251-7020; fax (608) 251-1655; email
ehanson@itis.com.

*Great Lakes Great Lawns, 1996.* (Video). Wisconsin's
Environmental Decade Institute. Interviews range of
people involved in ecologically sound lawn care,
including homeowners, golf course groundskeepers and
scientists. Provides tips for implementing safe,
ecological pest control and lawn care, focusing on lawns
in North American Great Lakes region. 26 minutes. US$10.
Wisconsin's Environmental Decade Institute, 122 State
St., Suite 200, Madison, WI 53703; phone (608) 251-7020;
fax (608) 251-1655; email ehanson@itis.com.

*Job Announcement: Toxics Policy Advocate at California
Public Interest Research Group (CALPIRG).*  CALPIRG
seeks campaigner on pesticide/toxics issues. Writing,
speaking, researching and organizing skills important.
CALPIRG is a non-profit public interest organization
dedicated to preserving the environment, protecting
consumers and holding government accountable to public
interest. Salary:  $18,000 - $26,000 with benefits. For
more information and complete job description, contact
Jonathan Kaplan, CALPIRG Charitable Trust, 116 New
Montgomery Street, Suite 530, San Francisco, CA 94105;
phone (415) 543-6242; fax (415) 543-1480; email
jkaplan@igc.apc.org.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.