Re: comments on UDSA/NOP cost and benefits to organic farmers and handlers

At 11:53 AM 10/5/97 -0600, Douglas Hinds wrote:
>sal wrote:
>>
>>  It has been said of me that I sound angry.I am
>
>It is clear to me that you raise valid points that should be presented
>to a concerned public.  Since you are the one that sees and feels these
>things things (I myself am out of the U.S. most of the time and am not
>presently farming in the U.S. so you are certainly taking the heat more
>I am, for instance), you are the logical one to provide the leadership
>needed to drive these points home to the people in policy making
>positions.

that is my whole point !organic growing is now a political football and it
is in the hands for those folks that play the political game the best not
me I only know how to farm organic.  .  I have enough problems now. I have
all ready made the certifiers,inspectors and USDA mad at me.  Good let them
know what every organic growers feels every day .  Mistrust !  That is what
they show me and I am a mirror so I mistrust them sameway.  and it is not
for any wrong they have done or that I have done/ .  I like my certifier
and have for years but they are busy saving their own rear ends. They have
to fight for every inch and they don't seem to mind sacrificing the small
farmers money to get their way. They sold us out trying to save us.   The
inspectors are not going to ask that the farmer not pay because they get
their pay from us.  you see all these folks that are supposed to be
representing us now have to represent themselfs.  And the state and the
government say they know there needs to be regulations but who will pay for
it and our own certifiers  and others in the movement say get it from the
farmer who grows organic . I say WRONG   So I have to say please don't
speak for me anymore as you seem to have walked all over me and I put my
trust in you all and supported you all for years and you left me holding
the bag.   This is not what organic growing is about.   They were supposed
to be our mouth peace and they have done a bad job as it is the  organic
farmer that  has to pay for this whole deal . Most small farmers are not
into politics and now organic growing is a political football. I think the
public comment is
Bull shit and that we organic growers have already been hung up to dry. I
have seen enough public comments to know its a lot of noise signifying
nothing.  The USDA is going to do what they want no matter what.  They own
all the words. It is their agenda and they have the guns.   You need a law
degree and a science degree just to talk to them. They don't have hearts
they don't care about morals or religion or even ethics .they don't mind
oppressing the poor .Just  look they made the small farmer thing only $5000
every one that makes over that small amount is fair game for a tax. And it
is not just one tax you have to pay off a whole lot of folks.   If you
cannot afford to pay off all these folks you are out of bussiness.  You
cannot reason with people like this.  The only thing they know is "Show me
the money."  They don't want to see signatures they want to see the
money!!!.  The USDA says they want to help the small farmer yet in the same
year they make up a special tax to drop right on them and them alone.  Help
like this I don't need.