Re: SMALLFARM-MG> Organic Produce

Erorganic@aol.com wrote:

>...concerning the multiple number of issues
> that Sal, Rich, Douglas and others have raised...I challenge all four of you and > any others to use OFPA and
> RFA (Regulatory Flexibility Act) as the basis of further discussion ..We are not > writing an Act of Congress, we are operating within the
> parameters of existing Congressional Acts.

I don't buy that.

> We concluded that an Act is an Act is an Act of Congress.

Acts can be reenacted, and some should be.

> Does Douglas need to be certified organic as a
> handler of organic products from Mexico? (Anyone who receives or otherwise
> acquires agricultural products; and processes, packages or stores such
> products must be certified as an organic handling operation.  However,
> Douglas may be a good example of what is called a "commission agent" under
> PACA, the Perishable Agricultural Commodity Act, in the US, and in fact does
> not have to be certified as an organic handling operation under OFPA because
> a "commission agent" by definition does not receive or acquire perishable
> product.)

Sorry but I can't answer that because I've got to revise and get the
contract back to the lawyer tomorrow for the packing and processing
operation that we're putting together here, finish another one for the
growers who have asked us to help provide them with viable biological
control methods for 360 acres of virgin land that they want to keep free
of the fungus that cause IBS (Internal Browning Syndrome) in pineapple
so they can (have their fruit certified and) channel it to the organic
market (yeah, we're going to help them get a fair price for it too) and
call the university's coordinator of their upcoming event on Sustainable
Agriculture regarding the conference I was invitated to moderate.

When there's a little more time to spare I'll be happy to mention some
of our other ongoing projects like PATIO (Parque Agro-Tecnologico e
Industrial de Occidente), an Agro-Tecnology Science Park for the
Development and Application of Bio-Agricultural and Agro-Industrial
Processes.

(Eric knows we're doing all these things so I have no idea why he says
this stuff). Say no to drugs! (Is that the problem)?

Regarding the pineapple project:  I'm going to have to do a little
research on it, so if there's anybody knowledgeable out there regarding
this issue, I'd appreciate their letting me know what's done the job.

--

Douglas M. Hinds, Director General
Centro para el Desarrollo Comunitario y Rural A.C. (CeDeCoR)