 trees and others supporting local wildlife, JL Johnson replies:

 Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:21:22
 From: Jeffrey L. Johnson <johns345@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
 I believe Hawthorn (Crataegus crus-galii) is native from the Eastern
seaboard to central Manitoba.  Hardy to USDA zone 4 (-30 F +/-).

A source I have mentioned here before.  Landscaping for Wildlife.  Mn Dept
of Natural Resources.  Carrol Henderson.  E-mail me directly if you want a
copy and I will mailorder one for you.

I highly recommend it.

Just off the top of my head,

Juneberry - Amelanchier laevis (Allegheny Serviceberry) or others
Lindens - Tilia cordata or americana (Basswood)
Viburnums - any
Dwarf bush Honeysuckle - Diervilla lonicera
Blueberries/Cranberries - Vaccinium
Any prairie plants!  (prairie is good for bugs,  any bug eating birds will
thrive on a bug farm area)
       Bluestems
       Indiangrass
       Goldenrods
       Switchgrass
       Leadplant
       Milkweeds - many (not as invasive as many many exotics!)
               (Butterfly weed is a milkweed.)
E. Red Cedar - Juniperus virginiana
White Cedar - Thuja occidentalis (Arborvitae trees.!)
Prunus - any cherries or species. P. virginiana is good.
Bush Cinquefoil (Potentilla fruticosa - a E. and Central North Am Native!)
Hoptree - Ptelea trifoliata
Ironwood - Ostrya virginiana
Hackberry - Celtis
Dogwoods - Cornus racemosa, alternafolia, sanguinea, stolonifera
Grape Vines - Vitis riparia
Buckeye -- Aesculus - any.
Native Euonymus atropurpureus (Wahoo)

I have had
>luck with a Flowering Crab tree though. Robins, Cedar Waxwings, Evening
>Grosbeaks and Chickadees have all fed on my tree. The only problem
>though, is that the berries don't last too long if many birds are
>around. If anyone else has had luck in this climate with any other kinds
>of winter berries, I'd like to know.

I have berries on my Viburnums trilobum (Am. Highbush Cranberries).  They
will be gone by mid March.  Grosbeaks, Jays, Robins frequent these late
winter in Mpls, MN.  (USDA zone 4 - North, -37 F Feb '96, -29 F Dec, '96)

>Last summer I "imported" some dead trees into my yard, and just leaned
>them up against sheds etc. The woodpeckers are really enjoying them this
>winter. Keep up the good work! Valerie K.

 J L. Johnson
 johns345@maroon.tc.umn.edu