Re: TH: Spring color in Baltimore City ...

Thanks for the flower update, Richard.  I hope more folks will let us
know what is going on in their communities.

At home in Kentucky, red maple, silver maple and elms (American and
slippery) are about finished flowering (when I left on Friday), and the
saucer magnolias are just beginning.  However, here in Ithaca, NY,
nothing much is happening yet - the willows are bright yellow, but
nothing is yet flowering.  Today, there were at least 35,000 snow geese
(some people estimated 100,000) in Cayuga Lake, along with a few blue
and Canada geese.

Incidentally, saucer magnolia is a hybrid (Magnolia x soulangiana, the x
indicating hybrid) produced in Soulange-Bodin, Fromont, France, from D.
denudata and M. liliiflora around 1820.  They are lovely trees, but
perhaps overused in the landscape.

Please send some spring this way. The geese are great, but it sure would
be nice to see some tree flowers.

Cheers,
Tom

----