TH: Subject: RE: Trees from Seed

 Date: 28 Mar 1997 16:21:15 -0500
 From: "Fafard, Chris" <chrisf@phe.com>

From: Chris Fafard, Sykesville, MD at chrisf@phe.com
Hello RT Ellsberry:
Your message regarding trees from seed was forwarded to me by a friend.  I
have since looked around the Community Forestry website a little.  I have been
trying to grow trees from seed for a couple of years now, with very little
luck.  (I think I need to learn to follow directions better).  My current
project involves seeds of Aeschulus pavia from my yard in Carroll County
(planted there by a previous owner, I believe).  I collected fresh seeds in
the early fall and planted in a sheltered outdoor bed immediately, as per
available guidance (Michael Dirr's, Manual of Woody Landscape Plants, and
others).  No seedlings yet, but I look each day when I get home.  Stay tuned.
Regarding your red oaks, did they germinat in the bag in the fridge, or later
after being put in soil or starter mix, or maybe on a moist paper towel?
In general, I will keep trying my little "experiments", and eagerly look
forward to hearing from other people, such as you, who are farther along the
learning curve.  I'll keep lloking at Tree-house.com. Thanks!