TH: RE: Trees from Seed

 --------
Hi,

The red oaks did not germinate in the fridge, the white oaks did.  I
planted my red oak acorns in pots in early March.  After getting impatient
because nothing was happening a took some pliers and carefully cracked open
both acorns.  1 was good and germinated about 1 week later (back in the
pot).  The root grew for about 1 week before it launched upward.  Dirr says
you are supposed to keep the Red Oak acorns moist, but I did not.  Perhaps
if I kept in a bag in soiless mixture they would have germinated in the
fridge??

The white oaks work completely different.  All the valid acorns grew
radicals while in the plastic bags with soiless mix (in the fridge).  I
then planted in pots after the radical was about 1/4 inch long.  All but 1
have now sprouted, but 1 is still just growing roots.  It was about 2
months after planting in pots before the white oaks started to sprout
upwards.

Good luck with your Red Buckeye!  This is my first year trying trees from
seed so I don't think I am any farther along then you, I just picked some
easy trees :-)  I have failed miserably so far with White Ash, Tulip Tree,
and Sugar Maple.

Mark Stephens

{:-)} http://w3.one.net/~markws - The Backyard Forest

markws@one.net (Mark W Stephens) - Cincinnati, OH  Zone 5