Re: TH: Fledgling hometown forestry

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
 On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Bgingg wrote:

> Hello Tree-House,
>
> Hoping to tap into your collective wisdom regarding several issues
> related to our fledgling community forestry project (see URL address
> below). Santa Margarita has a population of very old (100+ yrs) and very
> large (100 ft. +) European elms which are the main focus of our project.
> Most of these elms are essentially healthy and sound in spite of serious
> elm leaf beetle infestation (another issue that we are dealing with) ...

> ... Any suggestions regarding possible funding sources for removal (most
> trees are on public right-of-way and cost of removal per tree estimate =
> $1500 - $2000). It is very unlikely that the county will provide the
> funds ...

> ... Another question: We would like to develop a good system for
> tracking tree data, any suggestions? Recommended software?
>
> Finally, are there liability issues that we need to become educated
> about? We do not have non-profit group status ...

 Hi Beverly -

 Great letter, and sorry that neither I nor others have been able to
 provide satisfactory answers to your complex questions.  As for tree
 inventory software, there are a few packages available.  The Nat'l
 Arbor Day Foundation can sell you 'Tree-Keeper Jr.' for about $100.

 That's the cheapest and may serve your needs, but a database program
 like Excell / FoxPro / Paradox might be a better investment.  If any
 of our listeners have written a tree inventory database template, could
 you pass it along to the Santa Margarita Community Foresters?  The
 argument here is that if you master the database, you can use it for
 all kinds of other things as well.  Or find a computer geek (like me :)
 in your neighborhood who wants to volunteer some save-the-trees work.

 It's a challenge with your costs being over $1000 -- that puts you a
 bit beyond the smaller fund-raising sources like going to Home Depot /
 K-Mart etc.  Many popular businesses allocate funds for community
 projects every year (or can provide shovels, digging-bars, good hoses).

 Once you get on their yearly cycle they'll expect you back next year.
 In DC, the folks at GROW (Garden Resources Of Washington) took in 1000s
 of dollars in a few hours throwing a fundraiser at a fashionable book-
 store (I believe it was 'Barnes & Noble').  This is an intriguing idea!

 For more on funding, see the 'Milwaukee' article, immediately following.

 As for liability, this is where your county / municipality can at
 least shield you somewhat from potential damages.  Discuss this with
 your local officials.  They might be more sympathetic than you think.

 Richard@Flora.Com
 Richard Tryzno Ellsberry | FloraList Operations | Baltimore USDA Zone 7

Follow-Ups: References: